• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastrington Ponds Nature Reserve, E Yorks (1 Viewer)

mekon

hi all,

although currently living in London, I recently became aware of this location which is very close to where I grew up.

just wondering if anyone been here? I can't find much on the web besides a council press release, and the fact that a Belted Kingfisher was there in 2005!

cheers

M

Hi Mekon

Do you mean Easington? If so, this is close to the bird mecca that is Spurn. Both these places and Beacon Ponds are in close proximity and all produce quality birds especially during spring/autumn. If you ever get back up there check out this web site:

www.spurnbirdobservatory.co.uk

good birding

John

Eastrington Ponds

Hi Mekon,

I've just completed 4 twice-daily birding visits to this location with my classes. The results of my sightings can be found on my Blog, with the day of the week followed by Old Railway Line. The most recent one was last thursday (8th), but I've posted some pics taken there on a post earlier today. Several people assumed we were going to Easington, as they didn't read the instruction correctly! Luckily, I spoke to them before they set off! It was a very worthwhile site for the sessions, and was new to every one of the 102 class members I took there. We didn't see any rare birds, only an unusual species of fungi, but we did have some exceptional close views of the summer migrants. We did have a Kingfisher, Water Rail, and a Jay on the final day - which is quite scarce round here! I'm sure we will revisit it other years. I think the site is regionally important for dragonflies - see the east riding dragonfly website under locations: www.erdragonflies
My blog can be viewed at: http://eybirdwatching.blogspot.com/

Hope this is useful
Cheers :t:
MF

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back