• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any tips for a trip to Ardnamurchan end of May? (1 Viewer)

amelia1730

Can anyone give me some tips for a visit to the Ardnamurchan area at the end of May?
We will be staying in a property overlooking Loch Sunart and I understand the area is rich in wildlife. What should I look out for in particular? As far as mammals go I realise we could see Pine marten, deer, hare, wildcat (one has been seen near to the property) whales, dolphin, porpoises, otters etc, which would be wonderful, but what about birds? Are there any places nearby we shouldn't miss?
Many thanks.

Hi Amelia... you'll love it.

You may find a few ideas here in my trip report from 2006, which may keep you going till some others come in with more ideas

D

Thanks for that Delia. Great report. Hope I can see such great birds. Would love to see otter (shame you were unlucky) and would be over the moon if I was lucky enough to see a whale.

Amelia
Would recommend Gordon Hamlett's book. Best Birdwatching in the Scottish Highlands. ISBN 0-9533840-9-8. Has a good section on Ardnamurchan and is an excellent reference for many sites.

I got mine from NHBS.

Regards

Phil

Thanks to you both for your replies. I certainly would have liked to include a visit the Treshnish Isles particularly to see Puffins but I understand it would be a long sea trip, which wouldn't be very good for me calm or 'choppy' (long term balance & neck probs). If there are any shorter sea trips I might 'risk it' otherwise I will have to stay on terra firma! Have bought a copy of Gordon Hamlett's book as mentioned by Phil and it's really good. Plenty to get my teeth into and lots of tips also.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back