• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kazakhstan birding (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Ideas beginning to float around my head for a little jaunt to this fabulous corner of the globe, quite fancying the Tien Shan specias, such as Güldenstädt's and Eversmann’s Redstart, etc, even another look at Ibisbills and Azure Tits. Plus of course all the steppe stuff.

Reasonable amounts of info out there on the web, but would be interested to hear from anybody who has travelled in this country independently or has any tips to offers. If going. I'll probably do it in June this year.

Oooh, jealous!
Me & some mates are aiming to do this in 2009 or 10. (After E Turkey & Georgia this spring!)
A couple of my mates' mates (!) already did the Turkestan trip independently last year, so we're hoping to grill them for info - I'll certainly pass anything of interest on to you!
...and I'll be looking forward eagerly to your report in due course!
Dave C

The Tien Shan specialities should be very easy to do independently, although you might want to get a ride to the astronomical observatory (where you should book a bed: plenty of space there) or Bolshoye Almatinskoye Ozero (plenty of 4wd-owners drive up, you could try to hitchhike...). Away from Almaty, touristic infrastructure is all but absent, but you can pitch a tent anywhere you like (I'm not sure this would be the best of ideas, but that's another matter!)
Korgalzhyn (west of Astana) is trying to aim at tourists, but entry into the reserve may involve a bit of work.

The Tien Shan specialities should be very easy to do independently, although you might want to get a ride to the astronomical observatory (where you should book a bed: plenty of space there) or Bolshoye Almatinskoye Ozero (plenty of 4wd-owners drive up, you could try to hitchhike...). Away from Almaty, touristic infrastructure is all but absent, but you can pitch a tent anywhere you like (I'm not sure this would be the best of ideas, but that's another matter!)
Korgalzhyn (west of Astana) is trying to aim at tourists, but entry into the reserve may involve a bit of work.

Excellent, sounds like my cup of tea. Few more days pondering and I can see myself buying a ticket.

Well, found the ways to do the Tien Shen independently - a taxi from the airport to the beginning of the track that leads to Big Almaty Lake and thereafter up to the observatory is very reasonably priced, it even will stop at a supermarket on the way. The guy then gives me a map and points me, just leaves a few hours (or day more like) of walking up and up and I should arrive at the high Alpine lands! Getting back some days later I don't care about, can walk all the way to Almaty if need be.

Getting info on independent travel to Kazakhstan is none too easy, so would still welcome any hints or suggestions on independent birding throughout the rest of the Almaty Province (eg the Pallas's Sandgrouse locality over in the east, the Steppe/semi-desert north-west of Almaty, etc).

Last edited:
Kazakhstan Birding

Hello Jos,

My name is Machiel Valkenburg and I run a bird watching holiday company in Central Asia. I am residing in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan is a quickly rising country economically. Expect to see Hummers everywhere you look :) But like in all former Soviet Union countries corruption is problematic, this can cause problems and hold back your travels/birding.

Also camping is not possible everywhere, for example in the Taukum Desert it is not possible to 'just' pitch up a tent as you need a permit for camping in this area. Same here for Sogety valley, the Pallas's Sandgrouse place.

If you need any help with planning your trip to Kazakhstan I would be glad to help you with this.

Good birding,

Machiel

PS I see Azure Tits when I go grocery shopping!

What book should I take

Looks like I get to go to Kazakhstan in May (yippeeee!!!!!) and my birder brain is about to collapse from over-excitement and extreme stimulation. If any of you (or maybe Askar Isabekov?) would be willing to cultivate my brain's imminent explosion then you may be able to help with something:

What book should I take??? :stuck:

I need an ID guide and, apparently, the Birds of Kazakhstan is more an info book than something that will help me tell all those new birdies apart.

Also, any tips on birding in and around Astany and Almaty will be great (did I spell those correctly?)

Happy birding

Well, found the ways to do the Tien Shen independently - a taxi from the airport to the beginning of the track that leads to Big Almaty Lake and thereafter up to the observatory is very reasonably priced, it even will stop at a supermarket on the way. The guy then gives me a map and points me, just leaves a few hours (or day more like) of walking up and up and I should arrive at the high Alpine lands! Getting back some days later I don't care about, can walk all the way to Almaty if need be.

Getting info on independent travel to Kazakhstan is none too easy, so would still welcome any hints or suggestions on independent birding throughout the rest of the Almaty Province (eg the Pallas's Sandgrouse locality over in the east, the Steppe/semi-desert north-west of Almaty, etc).

Jos, did you ever go?...

Jos, did you ever go?...

Yes, and no!

Everything was planned and I departed - the flight left on time, but I had a connecting flight in Riga. First the onward flight was delayed, then without explanation, Air Baltic suddenly announced it was cancelled. Several hours later, now way past midnight, it was clear there would be no flight at all. ANd there wasn't, I returned home next morning.

However, from your perspective, I had everything planned to do the trip independently - basically my main destination was the observatory area in the high Altai above Almaty. From the airport, I had a taxi organied to take me to the bottom of the walking trail and then it would be a long but excellent walk all the way, staying at the observatory when I got there. Taxi was originally hard to find a reasonable priced possibility, but a backbacking place in Almaty got me a good price in the end.

Then I was going to all the standard places for Pallas's Sandgrouse, etc, before up to Astana for the Steppe stuff.

About to go out, but will add detail later.

Yes, and no!

Everything was planned and I departed - the flight left on time, but I had a connecting flight in Riga. First the onward flight was delayed, then without explanation, Air Baltic suddenly announced it was cancelled. Several hours later, now way past midnight, it was clear there would be no flight at all. ANd there wasn't, I returned home next morning.

However, from your perspective, I had everything planned to do the trip independently - basically my main destination was the observatory area in the high Altai above Almaty. From the airport, I had a taxi organied to take me to the bottom of the walking trail and then it would be a long but excellent walk all the way, staying at the observatory when I got there. Taxi was originally hard to find a reasonable priced possibility, but a backbacking place in Almaty got me a good price in the end.

Then I was going to all the standard places for Pallas's Sandgrouse, etc, before up to Astana for the Steppe stuff.

About to go out, but will add detail later.

that sucks.

any plans to return?
I am interested in pallas' as well as the accentors, the dipper, Ibisbill and the sociable plovers...

Hi Dale

If you haven't seen it already this is a good site for a bit of pre trip genning up.

http://www.birds.kz/indexe.html

As for fieldguides the best I can recommend is a combination of Middle East, Indian subcontinent and China! Best policy may be to do heaps of research before hand, take notes on potential problem species/ groups, and then take plenty of notes and/or pics to sort out the tricky ones at home. Hope you have a good trip.

James

any plans to return?

Yes, not this this year. Travel should get easier and easier and I'll now ait til next year, hopefully car rent will be easier then as (see below) I think it helps particularly for the Pallas's Sandgrouse.

I am interested in pallas' as well as the accentors, the dipper, Ibisbill and the sociable plovers...

If you prefer independent travel, all are easy (ish) to do without a guide or expensive tour. I will dig out the details for you in the next days, but the Dipper you will see on the wlak up to the observatory (note, if you're travelling with heavy bags, this might not be a fun walk - it is a trek up, but birding is good all the way). The Ibisbill is on the lake not far from the obs, usually near the inlet/outlet stream I believe (I will check). Redstarts and all else, work the areas near the obs or higher obs.

I wil find a contact for you in an Almaty Backpackers - they can book you a place in the obs if you want to stay there (but I think if you just turn up, you will find a place, maybe even take a tent).

Sociable Plover can be found along the road before the Steppe reserve if you are lucky, therefore not requiring guides to enter the reserve. If you want to go in, a guide is obligatory I believe but can be organised in the little village on arrival.

Not, all this is off the top of my head, I'll double check info for you as need be.

The only place I think a car would really help, but is doable by bus and foot, are the sites around the Pallas's Sandgrouse steppes. I had planned to rent a car for a few days to do all these places, but self-drive rent is not so easy to find ...maybe already easier, one year on? I eventually found, but it was not so cheap. I woud hitchhike if doing it with the time to spare.

I am going on an organized tour so we will be in vehicles (probably a mini-bus, I would presume) and the general areas per day have been organized, but if I have some insider info on particular spots to visit that are within our area of "attack" I think I can have some say on where exactly we go...
I will check with the organizers where we will be going in general and then I will know more about what I need to ask...

James, thanks for your book recommendations. does anyone have anything to add to this?

During the Soviet times, Karaganda was excellent for steppe species. Especially Lake Balikti-Kul (Fish Lake), which also had a great variety of rare wetland species.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back