• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I've no idea on this one ? (1 Viewer)

TonyC said:
Again at Ynys-Hir in October

Tony: You have found some really beautiful specimens. Sadly I doubt you will get a reliable id from the photo as the features are not easy to see.

I would guess that they are in the Cortinarious genus, maybe either C. punicia or C. sanguineus which both have red caps, red stems, no ring, blood red gills and red flesh. The cap diameter is ~5cm. IIRC C sanguineus grows with softwoods e.g. Pine and C punicea grows with hardwoods e.g. Oak. Any chance of close up photos, such that the gills, and other details are visible? Anyway, that is a really nice group of fungi.

TonyC said:
Again at Ynys-Hir in October

Are the fruit bodies by any chance very rubbery? The Deceiver - Laccaria laccata - is a common red species, with very rubbery flesh: the stems flex easily without breaking. I don't think they are but you never know.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back