• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Ringing report 2002 (1 Viewer)

86,735 Blue Tits ringed? That'll provide some useful new data then - especially with a 2% recovery rate....

So, and I'm sure this will have been asked before on another thread, what possible value can be had from ringing 86,735 Blue Tits?

Well..... If they start to undergo a decline..like eg. Song Thrushes, then there will be some very robust data. Add the age related totals to the pure numbers and you have a very sensitive barometer of the breeding success.... then I'm stuck.

I guess its more about it impossible not to catch Blue tits...they throw themselves into nets with gay abandon and are a right royal pain in the arse to get out of the net!. I did get some interesting recoveries for Blue tits... One to Cumbria, one to Doncaster and one to Rochdale!

The BTO used to frown on the ringing of House Sparrows... and hence possibly missed the start of the decline!

I did my best defending the not overly defendable... If someone would invent something that stopped Blue Tits catching themselves i'd be very interested...it might even push me into taking up ringing again.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back