• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wholemeal bread (1 Viewer)

helenol

I don't usually feed bread to the birds, but for some reason I seem to have lots of wholemeal bread with lots of seedy things etc in it.

Should I feed it to the garden birds, if so, shall I soak it first?

helenol said:
I don't usually feed bread to the birds, but for some reason I seem to have lots of wholemeal bread with lots of seedy things etc in it.

Should I feed it to the garden birds, if so, shall I soak it first?

Opinions seem to vary about whether bread is good for birds, but those in favour always say it should be well soaked first. I regularly buy sliced wholemeal bread for my birds, and the usual takers are the starlings.

Wholemeal bread is fine, it is refined white that gives problems.

It doesn't need to be soaked at all, seed-eating birds are well adapted to eating dry food.

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Wholemeal bread is fine, it is refined white that gives problems.

It doesn't need to be soaked at all, seed-eating birds are well adapted to eating dry food.

Michael

This is what the RSPB has to say:

Crumbled bread is suitable in small quantities, but moisten if very dry. Brown is better than white. Although bread is not harmful, it should not be offered in large quantities, since its nutritional value is relatively low.

Thanks,Michael,I will remember that,and only use wholemeal bread in future.But surely white bread as made in a breadmaker is fine,all my failures!!,no additives
Christine.

But surely white bread as made in a breadmaker is fine,all my failures!!,no additives
Hi Christine,

It isn't the additives - it's the "subtractives"!

All the best nutrition in grain is in the part that gets removed when making white flour, done in the factory before you buy it

Michael

This is probably a stupid question but wouldn't moistened bread be more suseptible to bacteria and mold?

Thanks,Michael.Michael,is there anything you don't have an answer for?.
KC,just thought to mention,I was rather worried when my neighbour was leaving bread out for the birds in the summer,it was very hot,the bread was very dry,and lots of youngsters were feeding.I mentioned to a vet,shouldn't the bread perhaps be moistened and he said it made no difference,a bird could cope with really dry bread.I must admit i do occassionally moisten the bread,but it never stays long enough to get mouldy,too many seagulls and jackdaws!!.
Christine.

KCFoggin said:
This is probably a stupid question but wouldn't moistened bread be more suseptible to bacteria and mold?
Hi KC,

Not a stupid Q, and the answer is yes - one reason why I wouldn't recommend moistening it, unless it will get eaten right away. Christine's vet is right, birds can eat it dry safely, just the same as they can eat dry seeds safely.

Michael

I know on the very few occasions I have put out leftover muffins, they were eaten with relish by the birds. Thanks.

I'm also of the 'dry' persuasion when it comes to putting wholemeal bread out. And when the weather is freezing, as it has has been the last few days, the bread is at least peckable, rather than beak-breaking.

Alan Hill

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back