• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meindl boots - Cracked on the instep (1 Viewer)

paulwfromtheden

I purchased a pair of Meindl boots for about £130 three years ago. They have had limited use and have been well looked after.
On Saturday I noticed that the books were cracked on both instep. They are not leaking at the moment, but I feel it is only a matter of time.
I have written to Meindl for comment and attached this photo.
Do I have a case for a refund?
Thanks

Attachments

• Boots with crack.jpg
    Boots with crack.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 417
Hi
Those two lines look like the join on the strip of plastic material that joins the leather upper to the sole.
I also have a pair of Meindls which look identical to that.
Can you actually fit anything between the join?
Like the tip of a fingernail perhaps?
Hope this helps

Addition, On the other hand I don't recall noticing this join in my boots until recently. I just assumed it had always been there

Last edited:
Hi
Those two lines look like the join on the strip of plastic material that joins the leather upper to the sole.
I also have a pair of Meindls which look identical to that.
Can you actually fit anything between the join?
Like the tip of a fingernail perhaps?
Hope this helps

Addition, On the other hand I don't recall noticing this join in my boots until recently. I just assumed it had always been there

Cheers, I thought the same, yet I would have expected the seam to be in an identical positon on each boot.
I have no idea if it has always been there, as you say, it could be part of the design.

I've had a look at mine too and the seam/join isn't in the same position on mine either. Bit odd alright
Very popular boots though so there are probably lots of owners out there who could give you a more authoritative answer than mine.

Naaah, I really don't think that's a crack, Paul - just a moulding line.

Cheers Keith. Probably just being paranoid....I'll see what Meindl say, but they certainly have not leaked yet, which considering the day we have had in the south-east is something of a miracle.
Would still be interested in the views of other Meindl boot owners though...

Have to agree, its a mould line, the boots belonging to my wife show the same join.They were re-soled by Meindel under warranty after one of the soles came off!!

I chucked my meindl boots after 3 years as the heels had really worn down and they had a really hard life, but they definitely looked in better nick than the one's you are showing!!

Neil

Definitely a mould line...nothing to worry about. I've been wearing Meindl boots for a number of years now and have nothing but praise for fit, comfort and style. However, I have my current pair of Burma MFS boots for 3 years or so now but after about a year, both soles developed a massive crack, something you would not miss. The shop I bought them in offered to send them back to Germany and Meindl re-soled both boots free of charge as they determined the damage to be inconsistant with normal use.
The guy who runs the shop also told me that for about 80-90 euros, he could send the boots to Germany after the soles reach their natural end to be re-soled, so, no need to throw them away particulary if they are generally still in pretty good nick.

Hope this helps,

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back