• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringing in Majorca (1 Viewer)

Motmot

Eduardo Amengual
Hi fellows,
It's been a long time since my last message (in another forum), moving from Costa Rica back to Majorca wasn't easy...
I have rejoined my ringing group here, having lots of fun (and hard work) again. I had some great ringing in Oct.-Nov. in Dragonera Island, very very close to SW Majorca, including some rarities here (Radde's Warbler,Red-breasted Flycatcher).
Last week we went to some friends of mine property, a beautiful pristine area in NE Majorca, Ses Cabanasses. We ringed for two days, including a few great birds (2 Scop's Owls, 1 Woodcock, 1 Hoopoe). But the most shocking to me was....
We opened the 5 nets, barely 60 meters, close to two watering places (we weren't expecting much of them in this rainy December) around 16:45. In ONE hour we catched 76 birds, 72 of them were European Robins!!!!!
We are not sure why did all of them come in such a short time to those spots, some of them were seen bathing but 72....
I have ringed in some small islands close to Majorca which can have big migratory "waves", catching 300 Robins in one day (with more than 200 net meters) is possible, and we know that those tiny islands are very good for ringing, but inside Majorca in full winter...... really shocked me.
I have attached two cra... Woodcock pictures, hope you'll be able to see them.
Eduardo

Attachments

• Scolopax.jpg
    Scolopax.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 191
  • Becada.jpg
    Becada.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 180
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back