• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

15 Anagrams (1 Viewer)

Kalamazoo Ken

Hi there, puzzle lovers!
Here's another batch of anagrams from Kalamazoo to you. ;) I don't know whether they will be too easy, too hard, or just right. I'm thinking the theme will be easy (once you get a couple of the birds), some of the names perhaps a bit hard, and thus the total effect...? We'll see.

1. HEN WAS CHOSEN FIRST
2. SHY MALE MP'S
3. A HEROIC QUEST: CNN'S STEEPLE!
4. YOUR CO-STAR'S A LOST DEVIL
5. ALONE, ACNE FLOORS
6. DO I CARE IF I PASS OR I FAIL? TV! BED! R & R!
7. A STRANGE BRAIN – STILL...
8. REVERE MAXIMUM SAND? ABSURD!
9. R. N. MEN BLESS BARROWS
10. NORMAL WHEELS – I LIKE IT!
11. A WISE MOCK-ROCKER HELPS ACE
12. R.E.O. FAN WRECKS PLANE!
13. HUGE DESIRES IN MP (BEING SUMMER!)
14. WHY DRAG ROSTERS, SON?
15. PA (SILLY MAN) ZOOMED – HA!

Have fun! :bounce:

Crikey, my head hurts!

If Tim leaves me any, I'll have to have another go tomorrow evening!

Struggling like mad Ken... maybe a teensy clue to point me in the right direction?

Hmmm. . . How much is of a clue is enough, but not too much? I suppose it's fair to say that all of the birds seem to belong to someone. Does that help?

Erm... sort of... I thought they did, but I was rather hoping I was wrong!

Okie dokie... back to the drawing-board!

Holy moly... I think I've got one!!!

8. REVERE MAXIMUM SAND? ABSURD!​
MADAMME VERREAUX'S SUNBIRD???

9. R. N. MEN BLESS BARROWS
MRS. BENSON'S WARBLER

Things are beginning to make sense, I think!

OK, how's this: The resource I used [W.G. Wells' World Bird Species Checklist] gives not only what the author calls the "preferred" (at least by him!) name for each species, but also alternative common and scientific names which have been applied to the bird by various authorities over the past 30 years or so. Some (though by no means all) of the names I have used are not the "preferred" names. [Just so you know, the "Writhed-billed Hornbill" is not listed by Wells as a "preferred" name. By no means am I attempting to "get even" for the hours of brain-wracking you have provided for me, dear Birdman. I'm just bringing this up in my own defense as justification for using a few alternative names myself. ;) ]
I'm not sure any of this qualifies as even the tiniest of clues, but it may help a bit.
Finally: I am quite sure that the theme will become very obvious fairly quickly. Once the theme is known, I expect that it will be much easier to track down the remaining birds. Go for it! :bounce:

Hello out there! Is anybody still working on these? I'm leaving for 2 weeks in Nicaragua tomorrow, so I may have a difficult time checking in till Iget back. If there are no more answers, I'll post a list if anyone's interested.

I'm still having a look when I can, Ken... My goodness these are toughies!!!

Have a great time in Nicaragua (WOW!), and hopefully by the time you return I'll've cracked these... or pulled all my hair out!!!

:t:

Hey there Birdman -- thanks for the reply. I really couldn't imagine you giving up. ;) Good luck while I'm away.
I'll be trying to make contact while I'm down south; if I can you'll know.
Oh -- I think you probably have the theme right.
Just so you know, the purpose of this trip is not primarily birding, though I do hope to get out and see what i can see now and then. I'm thinking of bringing along a hummingbird feeder and hanging it up where we work, just to see what might come along.
And finally, if you do come to the hair-pulling point, at least you can rejoice in having some to pull. There are those of us who wish we had the option!

13. HUGE DESIRES IN MP (BEING SUMMER!)
Empress Eugenie's Hummingbird

Got on a bit of a roll!

2. SHY MALE MP'S
Emma's Sylph

Most of these are serious guesswork, as I can't even Google them!

Hi there Birdman (and anyone else who's laboring away at these!) --
Greetings from a very slow internet cafe in Esteli Nicaragua. Just checked into see how you're doing, and you are definitely on a roll. The order of the words for the Turaco needs some minor adjustment, but the others are spot on. If my count is right, your nearly half-way through.
I don't know if I'll get back on-line before I go home or not, but I{ll try when I have time.
Hope your hair holds out! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back