• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Warblers - What is the situation in Kent? (1 Viewer)

Ben16

Firstly, this is NOT AN APPEAL FOR SITE INFORMATION.

Having spent days in 2007-8 searching suitable and former areas for this rare bird, what is the situation in Kent now that the main site has been egged and according to the RBBP report 2004, only 1 pair bred?

Do birds still breed in Kent along the Thanet Coast or have they moved elsewhere?

If anyone could just fill me in without giving away any details that'd be great, if only because it'd save me a lot of time and fulfill my curiosity about what's happened to this least publicized our of breeding birds.

Many thanks,

Ben

www.freewebs.com/benmacdonaldbirding

I don't think exchanging information, however vague, about such vulnerable breeding birds on this forum is a good idea.

Sean

By all means not on the forum if you believe that saying "Marsh warblers are still a breeding bird in Kent" would jeapodize their nesting success but why not by email? Also, it is widely known, for example, that there remain Lady Amherst's Pheasant in Bedfordshire or that there are Honey Buzzards in Wales, but both eggers and birders might require just a little more info, Sean, to track these birds down? It is just nice to know the state of our birds and even for the most paranoid of protectionists, I can't see how a sketch of a bird's distribution in a county would be detrimental, but in the name of responsibility - by all means - please email a vague sketch if the forums are too public a place in which to do it. Many thanks, Ben

Ben, your first post made no mention of emails or private replies; it invited a response on a public forum that could have had a detrimental effect on a species that has suffered more than most from the attentions of egg collectors. It may well be 'nice to know' about the bird's status but I don't think curiousity justifies taking any chances.
I've just received my copy of the June issue of British Birds magazine, which has the annual article Rare Breeding Birds in the UK (for 2005). Under Marsh Warbler it says: 'Following indications of disturbance to potential nesting sites, the Panel has decided not to name counties in England where breeding is suspected.'
Paranoid? Maybe, but if we had a bit more paranoia we might have a few more marsh warblers.
Incidentally, I've no idea of the 2007-8 status of the species. I used to watch marsh warblers, but the colony was wiped out by egg collectors.
|I know you meant no harm, but sometimes it's better not to see a bird than risk its survival by publicising its whereabouts.

Sean

Regarding seeing the bird, you're absolutely right and I've long been resigned to the fact that it's too risky both from an eggers point of view, and also for the birds' welfare, to visit any sites that I did know, but I just didn't see how naming a county distribution, much as the RBBP report did prior to the 2005 report, which I have yet to see, would have been detrimental but in light of the 2005 statement, evidently even that is enough to merit disturbance, which is incredible. You're right, though, better safe than sorry, but if anyone could fill a gap in my knowledge via email in the UK situation, I feel I'd know a little more about our breeding birds with no one being the worse off for it. Cheers, Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back