• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Otter at Druridge Pools (1 Viewer)

Mike Richardson

Formerly known as Skink1978
Hi

I keep hearing reports of regular Otter sightings at Druridge Pools and was wondering if it is worth making a visit to view these animals one weekend.

Obviously sightings of wild animals can never be guaranteed. However, I would be grateful for a local opinion on how reliable the site is for otter. Also, is there a particular hide to view from, or time of day they are most active (evenings would be more practical for me)?

Secondly, is there an Arctic Tern colony close by that I could I also visit?

Thank you in anticipation

Mike

Hi Mike. I would say Druridge pools are as reliable as you can be, when it comes to Otters. If you spend a bit of time in the oddie hide you should see them.
Otters are getting quite common up here, so I would think there are regular sites for them closer to Bridlington.

As for Arctic Tern. You will see them at East Chevington, but the closest colony is at Long Nanny near Newton by the sea.

there was an otter on the wansbeck between castle island and the sea, but cresswell pond and the other ponds north are pretty reliable.

used to be some at bigwater too i think.

Have to admit i get a bit oblivious to them as i see them quite often. Guess its a character flaw; familiarity breeds contempt.

I suggest long nany or farne islands,or both!! Long nany wins every time imo, as you also see the fantastic little terns there .

Thank you everyone.

Otter are found nearer to Bridlington, especially in North Yorkshire although they are very elusive. I keep hearing about regular sightings in Northumberland, especially at Druridge.

I will surely be paying a visit to your beautiful part of the country over the next few weeks and will hopefully see some Arctic Terns at the same time.

Thanks again

Definitely agree with trip to the Farne Islands for Arctic Tern. Otters; pretty much any of the ponds up through Druridge Bay. I'll PM you with some other sites.

cheers
martin

Just a quick update. Myself and fellow BF member Birdieboy123 made the trip up to Druridge this morning. After about 5 minutes in the hide we had our first Otter. A second (Male) was watched well for over half an hour.

We then drove up to Long Nanny for the Arctic Terns. It was a great day!

Thanks again for the information.

Wow! You definitely had a great day :t:

I had an otter swim by me, no more than twenty feet away, last week as I was walking across The Pastures in front of Alnwick Castle o:) To say I was excited would be an understatement!!! Haven't seen him since mind :smoke:

Wow! You definitely had a great day :t:

I had an otter swim by me, no more than twenty feet away, last week as I was walking across The Pastures in front of Alnwick Castle o:) To say I was excited would be an understatement!!! Haven't seen him since mind :smoke:

Northumberland certainly seems the place to see Otters.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back