• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Winged Migration".......Again. (1 Viewer)

John Marshall

I have this afternoon watched my DVD of "Winged Migration" which I received as a Christmas present. I confirm the comments made by our American Bird Forum members who have seen this production that it is a definitely a "must see" inspiring and captivating film.

I've just returned from seeing Winged Migration at the cinema and it was very impressive. Some superb camera work and a fine soundtrack, including a terrific Robert Wyatt song. I was personally pleased to see how much of it was filmed in Iceland. Virtually all the Barnacle Geese shots, several of the Whooper Swan scenes and all the Puffin, Gannet, Great Skua and Guillemot and iceberg sequences were taken in south-east Iceland.

I thought wildfowl were overused in the film but of course it is easy to get great flight shots flight shots of such semi-wild birds. However, I was a little confused as to why a party of Whooper Swans was in the middle of the jungle. Any suggestions?
And the scene with the Barnacle Geese flying over the erupting geyser (Strokkur is southern Iceland) was incredibly contrived. Minor gripes aside the film is well worth seeing and a well worked portrait of the incredible natural phenomenon that is migration. Go and see it.

E

Hi Edward,

I got to see it too last week - the Whoopers in the 'jungle' were filmed (so far as I could guess) somewhere on the Chinese wintering areas, perhaps that big reserve they've got on the Yangtze where the Siberian Cranes also winter (forget what it's called, Poyang or something like that?)

I thought quite a lot was very contrived too, particularly the Red-breasted Geese going into that Russian ironworks. Looked highly improbable to me.

Didn't care so much for the soundtrack myself, thought it would've been better just left to bird calls.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Could have been China you're right (looked more like Thailand to me). What did you make of the juvenile Snow Geese migrating north in spring? Yes, the Red-breasted Goose scene was daft too. But we shouldn't split too many hairs...

E

Member Marmot posted this last week -

I have just been having a look for this film to see if there is any realease day yet for region 2 and guess what it is due out in the UK on 22nd March (My Birthday).

Amazon have it for pre-order, but I have found it cheaper £12.99 and with free p&P (UK) at Bensons World.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back