• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader Eyepiece? (1 Viewer)

I have a pair of XL21 by Pentax and a pair of Hyperion21 by Baader.

I bought the Baaders hoping not to have to buy the much more expensive Pentax.

It was a bad idea - I ended up having to buy the Pentax and the Baarders turned out to be a bit of a waste of money.

As a low cost eyepiece the Baaders are OK but produce a noticeably inferior images off-axis compared to the Pentax. On axis the Baaders are OK but the image quality drops off really quickly as you look to the edge of the field of view.

I also found them much poorer for digiscoping despite that being a mainly 'on-axis' use.

I also find that you need to position your eye much more carefully with the Baaders while the Pentax are much easier to use - a much bigger and easier sweet-spot. Eye relief is better on the Pentax too - although the Baaders do have good eye relief.

For the money the Baaders are good value but if you want the best optical performance across the entire field of view, the Pentax are simply in a totally higher league.

Would I buy more Baaders? - No, I wouldn't bother.

possum

I have a Pentax 80 ED scope and I emailed Baader and asked if there eye pieces would work on the scope, they emailed me and said there was a focusing problem with the Pentax scope and there was no fix for the eye pieces
The Baader company has to be a excellent company, and I will buy most of my accessories from them for being honest..

Brent

Last edited:
You are quite right, Baader are a fine company and make excellent products including eyepieces and filters.

I can use my Hyperions on both my PF100 and PF65, I don't have an 80mm scope.

The problem I think they refer to is the ability to focus at infinity that a lot of people have experienced some difficulty (see elsewhere in this section) but on both my telescopes and when digiscoping or using 'Eye-piece Projection' they have been alright and do actually pass through focus - just.

possum

I have just one Baader Hyperion that I use (occasionally) on my PF80. It focuses to infinity fine. It is not however, equivalent to a Pentax XL or XW EP as it lacks the field flatness, a wee bit of the sharpness, the infinitely adjustable eyecup, and some of the contrast.
It is a good value for the budget conscious however.

I have just one Baader Hyperion that I use (occasionally) on my PF80. It focuses to infinity fine. It is not however, equivalent to a Pentax XL or XW EP as it lacks the field flatness, a wee bit of the sharpness, the infinitely adjustable eyecup, and some of the contrast.
It is a good value for the budget conscious however.

Good day to all.

I must be one of the luckiest and unluckiest individuals
on this thread.

Luckiest:- In so far as my Hyperion eyepiece 21mm and
17mm (which I use on both my PF80 and PF65.)
are so delightful to use. I use them all the time.

Unluckiest:- In so far that my PENTAX EF12 and
SMC 8-24mm zoom eyepieces I very rarely
use.

Could this be 'fate ' that my Hyperions were at the top
end of quality 'batch' in manufacture. Whilst the Pentax
just passed inspection ?

Can a medium vest be advertised as a short mans
long vest or a tall mans short vest?

I use Olympus microscopes daily with top end objectives.
I need 'definition' crisp and clear. I know what I'm looking
through and at.

What I can't recognise are some of adverse comments
made against the Hyperion fixed eyepieces!! The Hyperion
zoom is a different matter. It would not reach focus on any
of my scopes.

Kindest regards,
young Ian.

Ian,

I made my comparison to XL and XW EPs. You are comparing an XF and the SMC zoom. Though I don't have personal experience with the SMC zoom, I've used the XF12 EP and it is definitely not in the same league as the XLs and XWs.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back