• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape Sani on Kassandra panhandle, part of Khalkidiki (Chalkidiki) peninsula, Greece (1 Viewer)

danebod

danebod
High all,

I'm going to visit Sani in Greece close to a large nature reservation for two weeks in September and I'm thankful for advices regarding this particular location. Kassandra is the westernmost of three "fingers" of the Khalkidiki peninsula in the northern Aegean Sea. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi

I went to Halkidiki in July 1998 stopping in Kriopigi not far from Sani, birds seen around the resort included.
Hoopoe.
Bee-eater.
Sardinian Warbler.
Cett’s Warbler
Syrian Woodpecker.
Eleonora’s Falcon.

Just a few Kms from the airport are the Angelochori and Epanomi Lagoons.
Some of the birds seen here were lots of passage waders including 1 Terek Sandpiper.
Other birds seen included.

Slender-billed Gull.
Greater Flamingo lots.
White Pelican.
Black-necked Grebe lots.
Collared Pratincole Breads here or did when I went.
Stone Curlew again breads here.
Lots of Pipits,Larks and Shrikes.

If you hire a car it’s worth going for a day to Lake Kerrini, this is just a fantastic place to visit one day is not enough but here are some of the birds I saw.

Both species of Pelican.
Pygmy Cormorant lots.
White and Black Storkes.
Hundreds of various Herons and Egrets.
Glossy Ibis.
Ferruginous Duck.
Loads of Bee-eaters,Golde Orioles and Shrikes.
Spanish Sparrow.
Roller.
Lesser-spotted Eagle.
Levant Sparrowhawk to name just a few.

Hope this helps good birding WACCOE.

I am also going to Sani Beach on a family holiday July 2009.

Does anyone know if Yelkouan Shearwater can be seen in this area at that time of year, and if so, any good places to look for them?

Also, where would be the nearest place where I might be able to find White-backed Woodpecker?

Thanks.

High,

I saw the Mediterranean Shearwater Puffinus yelkouan from the Kassandra shore in autumn 2008. It should bread there, where exactly I dont't know. It's not rare there. Take also a look to the peninsula Sithonia, the next one to the east, for Vultures. By the way, I saw the Shearwater also in summer 2004 at the island Kos and in winter 2007 at Malta, so it surely is in the mediterranean area the entire year.

I was not lucky to see the White-backed Woodpecker Dendrocopos leucopos, but chances may be good in the mountain forests around Polygyros and to the northeast from there, direction to the towns Arnea and Stagira Akanthos. You need a car and remember, it's up to 1000 m above sea level and about eight to ten degrees colder up there then at sea level.

Good luck. It's a pity, but Kassandra has seen better times.

Last edited:
Quick follow-up to my previous posts - anyone know if Reed Bunting is possible anywhere in the Sani area, or elsewhere in Halkidiki?

The brochure for Sani mentions a porivate reserve with wetland, and there seem to be a few other wetland areas around, e.g. Agios Mamas Marsh, but I have no idea if this bird is found there.

The local birds are of one of the thick-billed races, which would be interesting to see - any help gratefully received.

Thanks,

GRUFF

At least I didn't see it around there. I guess chances are better at the great lakes about a 100 km to the north.

Agios Mamas is also worth visiting because of the archaeological site there. I saw a Masked Shrike Lanius nubicus there.

Quick follow-up to my previous posts - anyone know if Reed Bunting is possible anywhere in the Sani area, or elsewhere in Halkidiki?

The brochure for Sani mentions a porivate reserve with wetland, and there seem to be a few other wetland areas around, e.g. Agios Mamas Marsh, but I have no idea if this bird is found there.

The local birds are of one of the thick-billed races, which would be interesting to see - any help gratefully received.

Thanks,

GRUFF

You're after the local large billed race??

D.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back