• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat ID help (1 Viewer)

Markus Lagerqvist

Sweden
Hi,

I took a photo of this bat in varzea forest along the Rio Javari, Amazonas, Brazil, close to the Peruvian border.

Anyone who knows what it is?

Attachments

• Bat-sp-Rio-Javari.jpg
    Bat-sp-Rio-Javari.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 128
Fairly sure this is one of the Saccopteryx or White-lined Bats. Posture, choice of roost spot (fairly exposed on tree bark), and face all look good for this genus, and you can just make out part of one of the wavy pale stripes down its back (although on my monitor I had to brighten the image a bit first). You'd have to indulge in a bit of googling to figure out which of the half dozen or so species you get in the area you took the photo. Good luck.

James

Thanks!!!

I wouldn't have know where to start looking!

I've now done som googling and think it looks good for Greater White-lined Bat (S. bilineata).

The ear-shape doesn't seem right for canescens and gymnura apprears to be very rare, with a more easterly distrubution, which would leave leptura as the only other option. Looking at pics of that species the colouration seems a bit off, but I'm not sure how reliable this is as a feature.

Any further input would be welcome!

ID confirmation

Please see images of a great white lined bat that I caught last week in Honduras. Great little bats full of character and the wing sacs are amazing to see up close.

Happy batting,
Batdan

Attachments

• Sa bil. face.jpg
    Sa bil. face.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Sa bil..jpg
    Sa bil..jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 105
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back