• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ellington Gulls (1 Viewer)

Ross Ahmed

In my recent experience Ellington Tip area (including Linton Lane NR and surrounding fields) is one of the best sites to study gulls in the North-east. Visited site a few times in winter, but now armed with a camera, I'm going to try to make occasional visits.

To unearth something like a American Herring Gull or Caspian Gull would be awesome, but visits should provide an excellent opportunity to study large gulls. I will post on here any photos of interesting birds, and perhaps link posts to ID Q&A section. All comments very welcome!

Spent couple of hours in hide yest pm at Linton Lane. Not too much of interest, but have still included a few photos below. Perhaps several hundred large gulls visited over the period - many of which staying only briefly.

Pic. 1: ad Common Gull - beginning moult of primaries

Pic. 2: LBB Gull - presumably a moulting 3rd cal yr bird. The combination of mainly dark wings and dark eye in early July reminded me of 2cy fuscus, but relatively pale wings point away from this

Pic 3: 2nd-sum Herring Gull - combination of dark-looking mantle feathers, washed out bill and sparse dark markings on greater coverts perhaps suggest argentatus?

Pic 4: portrait of 2nd-year Herring Gull

Attachments

• moultig ad Com Gull.JPG
    moultig ad Com Gull.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 98
  • fuscus lookalike.JPG
    fuscus lookalike.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 98
  • poss argentatus.JPG
    poss argentatus.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 111
  • moulting 2cy Hering.JPG
    moulting 2cy Hering.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Are you insane? :)

Gulls are a bit of a nightmare! spent a few hours myself in linton hide this year, and the variation of plumage is just unreal.

HOpe you find something interesting tho!

16th July

Couple of hours this pm was often gull-less, but focussed on looking at primary patterns of adult Herring Gulls.

Of 8 birds below, half (birds 1, 4, 5 and 6) show black on P5 - traits of both Yellow-legged Gull and American Herring Gull.

Also visible is a large variation in amount of white on P9 and P10 - particularly bird 7/8, which also shows only small amount of black on P6, possibly indicating argentatus.

Bird in 3rd post is interesting, showing following features often associated with American Herring Gull:
Generally uniform upperwing
Strongly marked belly/underparts
Large bill
Very dark underwing covs

Bird has unfortunately lost most of it's tail, and barring on rump is tricky to gauge.

Attachments

• HG primary pattern bird 1.jpg
    HG primary pattern bird 1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 87
  • HG primary pattern bird 2.jpg
    HG primary pattern bird 2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 72
  • HG primary pattern bird 3.jpg
    HG primary pattern bird 3.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 78
  • HG primary pattern bird 4.jpg
    HG primary pattern bird 4.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
16th July

Birds 5-8

Attachments

• HG primary pattern bird 5.jpg
    HG primary pattern bird 5.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 76
  • HG primary pattern bird 6.jpg
    HG primary pattern bird 6.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 80
  • HG primary pattern bird 7.jpg
    HG primary pattern bird 7.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 83
  • HG primary pattern bird 8.jpg
    HG primary pattern bird 8.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 71
16th July

Am Herring Gull lookalike

Attachments

• poss Am Herring Gull 1.jpg
    poss Am Herring Gull 1.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 104
  • poss Am Herring Gull 2.jpg
    poss Am Herring Gull 2.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 78
  • poss Am Herring Gull 3.jpg
    poss Am Herring Gull 3.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 91
  • poss Am Herring Gull 4.jpg
    poss Am Herring Gull 4.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 78
Hello Ross.

Haven´t seen your post before.

I think 3cy type LBBG - graellsii/intermedius for the gull in first post. The obvios contrast between upperparts and fairly dark primaries indicate this.

http://www.gull-research.org/lbbg3cyb/lbbg3cyjuly.html

http://www.gull-research.org/papers/14muusse.pdf

The Herring Gull in pic. 3 might be argentatus or argenteus, diffcult to say for sure in this case, variation and overlap in certain characters stands for that.
3cy type with worn 2nd gen. primaries with no sign of white tipped primaries.
It as a slight tendency to darker scapulars.

In 4 a 3cy type - unifom inner primaries with no trace of dark markings.

The Herrings in posts 3 & 4 demonstrates the variation in primary pattern. The markings on p5 are not complete on both webs, with only a dark spot on outer web of 4, 5 & 6, and on both webs in nr 1, not good for michahellis at least! This put together and from these images they could be either argenteus or argentatus. However the p-pattern on gull 7/8 might indicate argentatus.

http://cyberbirding.uib.no/gull/ind_hg.php

The last 2cy seems better for Herring (European) compared to GBBG (although some females of GBBG approach Herring in size, and I´m in fact not entierly sure here) on bill size/shape size of the eye and structure. In American Herring at this age I would expect darker underparts and more patterned undertail coverts.

JAnJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back