• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Digital Camera Memory? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Just browsing again..... :news: and noticed the various types of memory available for digital photography. CompactFlash, SmartMedia, SD Memory and xD Memory seem to be the most common.

What are the differences?

When choosing a digital camera, is there a preference as to the type of memory to consider?

Thanks

tracker

Last edited:
I have a camera that uses smart media. Very thin light and available in large sizes but..

I recently found that 2 of my 64 megabit cards became useless (unable to reform). I replaced them with 2 128's. The became worn out I think from friction of sliding them in and out of my camera and reader connected to my p.c.

If I was just deciding on a ideal format/digital camera to choose I would go with compact flash or the new sd. Shielded pins in the camera line up with holes in the media for contact and exterior of media is not bothered by friction fron insertion or extraction. Sony memory sticks are interesting but not as available as others are.

BiLL

Compact flash cards are the best I feel at the moment - a 512Mb is about 1 CD full of pics.
They are quick, managable,small but not tiny, cheapish & fit Nikon & Canon & other peripherals like printers & portable hard drives like NIxvue 40Gb.
I use Nikon 4500 and Canon 10D with 512Mb cards. I think they are also available in many shops and they fit in without any fuss into the camera.
Don't bother with microdrives they are too slow and because they have moving parts they can breakdown!
I can do 9 photo bursts on the 10D and they only take a few seconds to transfer from the camera's buffer to the card.
I believe CF cards can fit into some mobile phones as well, but I'm not sure.
It would be good if there was a small sound recording device that could take them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back