• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kestrel or Not. UK (1 Viewer)

Saphire

Christine
Is this a tatty looking Kestrel.

Attachments

• mystery130708059.jpg
    mystery130708059.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 216
  • mystery130708060.jpg
    mystery130708060.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 207
Thanks Stuart, Sorry the photo is iffy but that is a 100% crop, it was so high up I think I would have struggled with a longer lens than the 400mm.
I did wonder whether I maybe wrong with Kestrel because of the height and just kept going higher until it was no longer visible.

I did wonder whether I maybe wrong with Kestrel because of the height and just kept going higher until it was no longer visible.

Kestrels can also fly up pretty high, thermalling with the best of them, so wouldn't necessarily exclude them if you saw a bird flying up high . .

Note the bulky build and wing shape of Peregrine (distinctive anchor shape . .) Kestrels are thinner winged and body, with a longer tail.
You can also see the dark cheek patches in your pics (larger and more contrasty than kestrel).

Edit: A really tatty looking bird could also be an escaped falconers bird (eg Barbary falcon/hybrid/ . . . ?? Looks quite brown underneath . . or would that be down to the low lighting conditions at the time? Guess a juvenile (don't know if it's a little early for them?) wouldn't look anything like this tatty?? . . .

Last edited:
I would be inclined towards Peregrine, again wing shape and the shadow of the mustache. Certainly not to early for the juveniles, I've been watching four of them hunting for several weeks.

I'm not sure we can read to much from the apparent colour in these photos given that they're large crops from images taken against a bright sky. However, it looks to be in active moult with what looks like two generations of feathers apparent in the tail. This would make it an adult, rather than a juvenile, as the latter would have a complete set of fresh feathers at this time of year.

Stuart

Agreed, I definitely think this an adult peragrine, broad base of wings, VERY pronounced helmeted look with distinct mustachial, and light breast contrasting with darker markings beginning at upper belly/lower breast!

Even without great detail, this is perfect for an adult peregrine.

Best,

Jeff Bouton
Florida, USA

Needs a barber!

Definitely the mankiest looking Peregrine I've ever seen. A Kestrel would look skinnier with a noticeably longer tail. Nice pictures though....:clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back