• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PF65EDA vs PF65EDAII (1 Viewer)

ve2vk

Hello to all,
I was wondering about the performance of the PF65AII at higher magnification. My PF65A scope seems to lack sharpness at 30X and higher. Did Pentax improve the last version of this scope ?

Bruno.

Hello to all,
I was wondering about the performance of the PF65AII at higher magnification. My PF65A scope seems to lack sharpness at 30X and higher. Did Pentax improve the last version of this scope ?

Bruno.

Pentax did improve the PF65AII but only in respect of CA performance of this scope. Unfortunately this doesn´t have any influence on other optical aberrations which are probably responsible for lack of sharpness.

Steve

PF65A vs PF65AII performance

Your reply validates what I noticed when I tried the PF65AII in store. I noticed less CA, however I could not compare the perfomance at higher magnification since I was inside the store.

Regards from bruno.

As Alexis says, the 65 should give very sharp views above 30x. You don't mention what eyepiece you are using. I use the Vixen 8mm - 24mm Lanthanum ( http://www.adorama.com/VXLAZ.html ), and get sharp focus just about up to the top magnification with my PF65EDA.

PF65EDA sharpness above 30X

The eye pieces I use are the SMC Zoom EP and the fixed EP XW10. I also have the XW20 and XW14, the view is stunning with the latter two EP's and also with the SMC EP up to 30X. I had the chance to compare my current scope in the outdoors and I got pretty much the same results.. I'm wondering if it's my eyesight or it has to do with the scopes !

Regards from Bruno.

The eye pieces I use are the SMC Zoom EP and the fixed EP XW10. I also have the XW20 and XW14, the view is stunning with the latter two EP's and also with the SMC EP up to 30X. I had the chance to compare my current scope in the outdoors and I got pretty much the same results.. I'm wondering if it's my eyesight or it has to do with the scopes! Regards from Bruno.

Just to state the obvious, high power requires using a sturdy tripod, the view will not be as bright at high powers, and if you are looking at distant objects the higher powers will allow you to see atmospheric ("wiggly air") effects that degrade the view, but otherwise there is no reason why your scope should not come into sharp focus with those eyepieces unless it is defective. If your eyes work when looking through the scope at low power, they should work just as well at high power, but you do need to center your eye more carefully and depth of field is shallower so precise focus of the scope is more critical.

--AP

Zoom eyepieces often get worse results (not as sharp, darker) near their highest magnification (i.e. near the top of their range), but it doesn't seem as though it should be happening so early (30x). And, as I say, my Vixen goes right to the top with good clarity. I think your zoom eyepiece - not the scope - may be defective. Can you borrow another zoom eyepiece from someone just to try it out?

I think your zoom eyepiece - not the scope - may be defective.

No, based on my experience and all reports I've seen on Birdforum, it is almost certainly a flaw with the scope body. The fact that the performance with the 10mm eyepiece is not good confirms this in this case.

--AP

PF65EDA sharpness above 30X

I'll do some further observations with another PF65 and I will post my results.

Regards from Bruno.

Oops, I misread the earlier post and thought it said that the 10mm was good. If it isn't good with the 10mm, then I agree that it is almost certainly the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back