• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holiday on Islay (1 Viewer)

lisamillerart

We've booked a holiday on Islay for Easter next year (4th - 18th April). Spending the first week on the west side of Loch Gruinart just north of the RSPB reserve, and the second week on a farm near Port Ellen.
I'm hoping there will still be geese about then as well as returning waders, birds of prey and hopefully otters. Has anyone got any favourite sites on the island?

That's a very good time to visit, as there should still be plenty of geese around, at least at the beginning of your trip. It's also a good time for gulls, raptors and divers.

The area around Gruinart will be very good. Try Ardnave Loch for ducks and Ardnave peninsula for Choughs and maybe late Snow Buntings. The fields along the road there should have lots of geese.

Loch Indaal is good for divers and seaduck. April is around peak passage for Great Northern Divers, some of which will be getting into breeding plumage. The best area of the Loch for them is between Port Charlotte and Nerabus.

Machir Bay is good for Choughs and is a good site for gulls. Glaucous and Iceland Gulls are still quite likely in April and sometimes species such as Ring-billed Gull turn up.

There are a few seabird cliffs along the west coast of the Rhinns, which will start getting occupied in April. Also try looking out to sea from there for Manx Shearwaters and the occasional Arctic Skua.

I don't know the south coast quite as well but the Oa has Choughs and Golden Eagles and Claggain Bay is good for divers.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like further details.

Hi Lisa

I can't add much to the great info that Andrew has given you, as I've only had a couple of weeks there in the Autumn a few years ago.

However, have you looked here in Opus? And there's several useful websites if you Google "Islay Birds".

D

Many thanks for your suggestions - it's much appreciated. I shall get the OS maps out have a good look - Loch Ardnave isn't too far from where we are staying so that looks a good first port of call.

Pop into the RSPB at Loch Gruinart, they used to keep a list of recent sightings. At least there will be someone who will know what is around. They also do, or did when I was there, guided walks each week which will give a good insight into the reserve workings and the birds.
The road on either side of Loch Gruinart can be productive for raptors, buzzard, merlin, hen harrier. Also good for chough, but, Ardnave as previously noted should have a flock of them. I've had excellent views of otter in Loch Indaal, there is a spit going out into the loch near the end of the road from Kilchoman. Also have had them in the bays on the Atlantic side of the Rhinns. Purple sands at Bruichladdich and excellent whisky! Scoter in Loch Indaal. Golden eagles anywhere, plenty of barn owls. Especially good on the fence post across the flats at Gruinart. Swans on Loch Gorm. Waders on Loch Gruinart. Golden eagles from the hide at Loch Gruinart over the hills towards Jura.
Malcolm Ogilvie has a good book on the Birds of islay which details sites as well. Roy's in Bowmore will have it, or, the Natural History Centre in Port Charlotte.
There are so many places, you will have an excellent time, wonderful birding. I lived there for 4 years and still miss it.
PM me if you want more info.

Phil

You don't need to guarantee it on Islay, you will just get it, irrespective of the weather. Especially if you are into geese.
It is unsurpassed in Scotland to me.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back