• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Internet Explorer Problems (1 Viewer)

AnnieW

In the last couple of days I've had a funny occur with IE.

If I click on a link that is supposed to spawn a new window .... the whole thing hangs until I eventually kill with task manager (it is fine if it is opening a new page in the same window). So for instance, I can't click on attachements or links in Bird Forum threads or add pictures to threads - this was all working OK a few days ago I thought initially it was a problem just with BF and contacted admin who suggested that it might be that I had a pop-up blocker running - but I haven't added anything specific recently.

It has now started on other sites. I have gone through all my McAffee firewall settings, all IE settings, deleted all cookies and cleared all caches - but to no avail. Short of reloading IE has antone any ideas ???

I've mentioned this on another thread today - I believe it may have happened after downloading updates to my Norton AV and firewall.

Some sites did not work correctly, including my banking site which opens a new window. I have now added certain sites to the 'trusted sites' area of the firewall. Occasionally, I find a link that still does not work. In this case I right click the link and select 'Open in new window'. Sometimes this works and avoids having to add the site to the firewall settings.

Last edited:
Have you made any changes to say, graphics drivers or added any new hardware/software?

It can be down to several factors why this is happening. Youve installed something new software or hardware, a setting in internet explorer options may have been changed. For example under OPTIONS in IE, then Security, then Custom....is Java set to 'disable' or 'High Safety' ?

Have graphics drivers been changed or updated?

Maybe you need to clean out your registry with a program such as Adaware by lavasoft or a couple of others?

Are you getting any specific error messages?

Let us know if any changes have taken place, Annie.

tracker

Last edited:
If it is an IE problem then reloading it may not fix it, IE being tied into the operating system.

It could be a java issue...can you right-click the links and 'open in a new window'?

What does it say on your status bar (usually in the lower left frame of IE - if not go to (toolbar) View and click on Status Bar) when you hover the mouse pointer over a link that doesn't work?

Andy.

tracker said:
Can you say what version of Windows and IE you are using, Annie?

tracker
Hi Tracker - I'm using IE 6.0 on XP

I've gone through all my firewall settings and checked that nothing I want is being blocked.

I hadn't added or deleted any software prior to this happening - including drivers. I have just gone back and restored all the IE settings to their default value and checked the security settings - nothing strange there !!

The only error message I have received so far is trying to add a photo to a thread - it hangs for about 5 minutes and then returns to the previous page and displays the helpful message "Error on page" on the bottom staus bar. This is the only time when I get an error - everything else just causes it to hang.

I've just tried reinstalling IE and get exactly the same problem.

I'll give the registry cleaner a go .... although I was planning on installing a new hard disc next month. I might just bring forward these plans and rebuild the machine tomorrow instead !!

Ive read that Microsoft IE is very 'buggy' and has some security issues. A little drastic, but i know a few who have opted to try another windows explorer, such as Mozilla or Opera. Ive had no experience with these.

I had a situation on my computer once, whereby i would be constantly re-directed to other sites....as if my default homepage was being taken over. Thats exactly what was happening. I resolved the issue with a couple of ingenius programs that detected a kind of spyware on my system, enabled me to flush out other unwanted links and things returned back to normal.

Sometimes such problems only get sorted through careful research, time and patience. Maybe you could do a search through Google stating your particular problem?

Hope you get a little closer to solving your issue Annie,

tracker

Hi Andy -

If it is an IE problem then reloading it may not fix it, IE being tied into the operating system.

See post above : you're right it didn't work !!!

It could be a java issue...can you right-click the links and 'open in a new window'?

No - that doesn't work either. Just hangs - if I look at the performance in task manager the CPU is right up there at 100% and the culprit seems to be svchost.exe

What does it say on your status bar (usually in the lower left frame of IE - if not go to (toolbar) View and click on Status Bar) when you hover the mouse pointer over a link that doesn't work ?

No error - it just displays the name of the link !!

AnnieW said:
The only error message I have received so far is trying to add a photo to a thread - it hangs for about 5 minutes and then returns to the previous page and displays the helpful message "Error on page" on the bottom staus bar. This is the only time when I get an error - everything else just causes it to hang.

Have you looked at the settings for Java under Tools, Internet Options, Security, Custom, Custom Level?

Do check to see if Java is set to 'Disable', if so, try enabling it to 'High Safety'

tracker

tracker said:
... I had a situation on my computer once, whereby i would be constantly re-directed to other sites....as if my default homepage was being taken over. Thats exactly what was happening. I resolved the issue with a couple of ingenius programs that detected a kind of spyware on my system, enabled me to flush out other unwanted links and things returned back to normal.....

tracker
Ooooh .... we've been having that too over the last couple of days. The home page keeps being directed to something that, although I am no prude, makes me blush ..... actually, the last version made me feel sick !!

I'd assumed I'd managed to pick up some sort of Trojan - although McAffee isn't finding anything. I hadn't necessarily connected the 2 problems ... although this might explain the strange CPU usage .... DOH !!

I'll have a hunt around and see if I can find anything to remove what might be running.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

:flowers: Annie

Annie.....do you think you could have some kind of virus, such as worm_nimda?

When i saw you mention svchost.exe, i wondered?

tracker

AnnieW said:
Ooooh .... we've been having that too over the last couple of days. The home page keeps being directed to something that, although I am no prude, makes me blush ..... actually, the last version made me feel sick !!

I'd assumed I'd managed to pick up some sort of Trojan - although McAffee isn't finding anything. I hadn't necessarily connected the 2 problems ... although this might explain the strange CPU usage .... DOH !!

I'll have a hunt around and see if I can find anything to remove what might be running.

Sounds like your comp has been hi-jacked.
I can definitely help you with that re-directing problem....but it will be a little time consuming....but well worth it.

Let me know,

Oh and thanks for the flowers............ :t:

tracker

Last edited:
Ok Annie,

A workaround may be the best way to go!

Download a free version of Opera from www.opera.com - choose the version with Java. Last time I looked it was @ 14Mb (45mins on a modem?).

OR - download Mozilla Firebird from Mozilla.org - just extract the .zip file to a directory and start it double-clicking the .exe file. Closer to 9Mb I think.

You should be able to carry on ok with either of these (with the exception of sites that use ActiveX - a security risk anyway).

Java by www.sun.com at (I think) http://java.sun.com/webapps/getjava/BrowserRedirect?locale=en&host=www.java.com:80

Cheers,

Andy.

tracker said:
Have you looked at the settings for Java under Tools, Internet Options, Security, Custom, Custom Level?

Do check to see if Java is set to 'Disable', if so, try enabling it to 'High Safety'

tracker
Been there - done that !!!

AnnieW said:

Sounds like you need to run CWShredder http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
is the best place to visit - check the forums there - also use Spybot S&D - should be linked from there too.

Andy.

Yep that program can be used but she will need another program called HijackThis and someone to point out what to remove and so on. Annie i have a link to a computer site that will do just that for you and it is excellent.

tracker

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back