• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-Term Feeder Ideas Wanted (1 Viewer)

Angie

Hi,

When we go away, a neighbour has always fed the wildlife for us, but now I have to try and set something up before we next go. I know they are quite capable of fending for themselves, but as they are so well fed, I worry that I might have caused an unnatural number of wildlife to be in the area and food supplies might not go around especially for the foxes. I suppose I also don't want to lose them when they give up and start looking elsewhere.

I have thought of using drainpipes to hold peanuts and black sunflower seed.
But I am having trouble working out how they should get the feed out. Also how to do it so the squirrels don't destroy them.

Probably a bit ambitious, but I want a way to feed the deer, badgers and foxes. All I have found on the internet is this type of thing: http://www.arkansasduckhunter.com/deerfeeders3.asp . Too expensive but has the right idea. (And no, I don't like hunting!)

So, I am looking for ways for long-term feeding which can be up to 3 weeks.
Any ideas? Ways to use timers? Even daft ideas might trigger something more sensible!

Angie.

LOL!
So maybe the little darlings could earn their keep!
I have never fed corn to the wildlife so I think I might try some. If they eat it, I will see about getting the plans.

I have looked on the web to find a source for the corn, but haven't been able to find anywhere. Any ideas where to get it in the UK?

As for local kids, the family who sometimes looked after things for us are moving and everyone else is either too old or too busy.

Could you put a notice in a local pet shop, suggesting a sort of mutual arrangement? The staff in the pet shop will know who buys lots of garden bird food - maybe they could act as intermediary.

Not sure my local pet shop does this.
I am not sure what animals/birds would normally eat corn. I have found chicken feed but that is mixed corn.

hello...
I am in the U.S. but this may help....Corn is one of the cheapest things to offer!!! I buy it at the feed mill where the farmers get feed for the cattel and horses!! Cheap...50 lbs for @ $5 The other way to get it is to grow it yourself!! If you have the right temps and time to do so!! Corn is one of the most eaten seeds next to sunflower seeds!! you can serve it on the cob..whole kernel or cracked. I recommend a book that I use all the time .....the Backyard Bird Feeder's BIBLE...it is wonderful and full of great tips and info!!!! Well worth the money !!!!
Have a great day...Good luck and enjoy your trip!!
------crazybirdlady

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back