• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with a Nikon Fieldscope III (1 Viewer)

shreds

Hi,

New to the forum and wondered if anyone could help.

Just bought a second hand Fieldscope III with a 16-48 zoom eyepiece. is it possible to set this up for digiscoping (was hoping to do it with the following bit of kit...although never done it so no idea how it would work...presume it attaches to end of eyepiece and that you dont need to take off eyepiece? http://microglobe.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?pName=nikon-digital-camera-adapter-for-fieldscope-spotting-scope)

...or do i need to buy a wide angled eyepiece?

Cheers
Dave

hio shreds,

welcome to birdforum and you can start digiscoping with your setup but you would experience vignetting with your zoom eyepiece.

recommended cameras at this moment for digiscoping such as nikon coolpix p5100, fujifilm f31d, canon a570is and sony w300. it is better if you try the camera hand held with your scope and see the result.

im using fieldscope ED82 with 30x wide angled eyepiece at this moment with swing-away adapter made by srb-griturn, but would like to upgrade with zoom eyepiece if nikon produced new wide zoom eyepiece in the future :king:

check my gallery 8-P

Dave
Check this tread and message #7 the attached chart will give you some of the Nikon options that are available. The item on the link you have given will not suit the zoom eye piece.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=122666
I think you will need a DS wide eye piece as Nikon do not have a system to digiscope with a zoom eye piece. The alternative is as Horukuru has suggested, the SRB-Griturn system

Last edited:
Great stuff. Thanks very much to you both!!!!!!!

Chart was very helpful...if i read it right it looks like if i pick up this (which seems a good price): http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4116 and then purchase an adapter once i source a second hand camera then i should be set up!...although having read your comments in another thread Tom maybe a 24x might be the way forward.

Anyone have an old DS eyepiece they would like to sell? Also, does the fact that it is non-ed glass in my scope make any difference to the eyepiece magnification you would recommend?

Regards
DAve

Thanks Tom, I have no idea if it is the MC eyepice. it doesn't say on the eyepiece, just that it is 20-45 on a 60mm scope.

when you say poor i am wondering how poor? I am not looking (at the moment anyway) to hang my pics on the wall but more to help with ID, so really as long as it would do that to a decent standard then that would be enough i hope. ...Given that it is not great with the 60mm, would that mean the DS 40x wide angle would be a bit of a wast and i'd be better off with the 24?

Sorry for all the qs but i really have no idea what i am talking about : 0

Dave should have read your previous post regard the eyepiece you are using.

All nikon eyepieces work on perfectly well on both the ED and non Ed scopes. The problem is that the non ED scopes will result in a lot of colour fringing to the photo you take. The ideal Nikon setup would be 60ED or the 82 ED with the (24)30x DS eyepiece. Then start looking at camera options. See Horukuru camera recommendations.

Thanks Tom, managed to find some pics online that compare an ed-photo and a non-ed and i see what you mean. Was going to use the setup principally for ID but i am not sure if it is worth spending all that money, maybe best just to use the highly untechnical method of holding the camera up to the eyepiece and investing in an ED when i can!

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back