• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Perfect profile (1 Viewer)

I agree Steve,one can see every feather detail,it is the one thing about digi scoping which fascinates me.I hope you are now not going to say that this pic is not digi scoped!!

Very interesting feather pattern on the mantle and breast. Not something I've ever noticed in the field. If one ever hitched a lift over here you'd need to be superhuman to ID it.

Jason

Indeed it was taken with a DSLR. Nice pic. too.
But what it is about corvids Steve? They do nothing for me at all - well the boring black 'uns anyway!

Chris

Well Chris, I suppose on the one hand it's their behavior. Overall, they seem to show at the very least a degree of ingenuity, inquisitiveness and playfulness in their daily lives. I know that their reputation as nest robbers and carrion eaters doesn't endear them to all, but if they didn't do it, something else would.
And on the other hand, I can I suppose take your point on the "boring" all black species/Corvus to a degree but in the right light, even they can shine! Excluding Corvus of course you have species like these:

Green Magpie

Red-billed Blue Magpie

Last edited:
....ps, don't mean to make that sound patronising as I'm sure you are perfectly aware of these species!

I must confess too that the Rook is probably (visually) one of the least favourite of the group.

Steve, I always tend to agree with you on your choice of 'favorite photos' -- this one especially! I, too, have a real fondness for crows (and miss terribly the neighborhood ones who were lost in the first horrible WNV summer here in 2002). This one looks positively regal -- at least fully aware of how gorgeous he looks!

Steve,when we have a reasonable day(weatherwise) I'll try a digiscope pic of our two resident jackdaws,especially for you.They nest in one of our chimney pots,and steal all the food before the smaller birds arrive.

Here is the promised photo, Steve,of our resident lovebirds.They perch on the TV ariels,rooftops,every where,but are always together.

Attachments

• jackdaws 004.jpge.jpg
    jackdaws 004.jpge.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 173
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back