• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birder's Books (1 Viewer)

Darren Oakley-Martin

Went to the local library at the weekend and as luck would have it, I spotted a book called 'Birder's' by Mark Cocker and I have to say, I didn't put it down until it was finished. It was brilliant. Humorous, heart-warming, tragic and utterly accurate. I sincerely recommend this book!

Does anybody else have any recommendations of books about birders and birding? You know, the type of little vignettes that often appear in 'Your Birding Day'? (.....or maybe, just maybe, the best of these accounts could be published and retained for posterity)?

I'll jump in here before Euan get's the chance ;) & recommend any of Mr Oddie's books as being quite entertaining reading.

Cheers

Darrenom said:
...... I spotted a book called 'Birder's' by Mark Cocker and I have to say, I didn't put it down until it was finished.....

BTW, I've not read this one as it got a thorough slating in Birdwatch Mag. Maybe if I can find it in my library, I'll give it a go!

Birdwatch, hmmm, renowned for their Birding news perhaps, not necessarily their powers of literary criticism, I would suggest. (Cue- torrents of abuse from Birdwatch reviewers).

Darrenom said:
Birdwatch, hmmm, renowned for their Birding news perhaps, not necessarily their powers of literary criticism, I would suggest. (Cue- torrents of abuse from Birdwatch reviewers).

Maybe it just wasn't "cliquey" enough for them!?! ;)

'Birders' is one of the good ones.

Another good one is 'Kingbird Highway' by Kenn Kaufman. Check the books forum for reviews.

Mark Cocker's book is blinding but is very centred around the late 70s and 80s Norwich crowd but don't let that put you off. It conveys a real passion for birds and exploits of people who didn't stop at twitching but went on to become well known names in conservation, art, identification, and other bird-related fields

I received 'Birders' by Mark Cocker as a Christmas pressie two years ago (Xmas 2002) and thought it was fantastic...read it through in just a couple of sittings!!! Would definitely recommend it!!!
Bill Oddie has done a few...Little Black Bird Book, Gone Birding,Follow That Bird!...etc...really funny books....as is his 'Gripping Yarns'...a set of his column that he used to write for Birdwatch magazine...that was another that I couldn't put down!!!

GILL

Have to say that Birders is good but I prefer Oddie's Little Black Bird book.

Anyone know if the second Oddie book Gone Birding is available on paperback?

Never seen a softback of it Pete.....

still got my original hardback from 1983 when I was 14....

I think BOLBBB was what really got me into birding a year or two before

I have to agree with the others about Bill Oddies books. They are fantastic reads. Ive got Gripping Yarns and Gone Birding. Im re-reading Gripping Yarns for the 2nd time now and I only got it a few months ago.

SimonC said:
BTW, I've not read this one as it got a thorough slating in Birdwatch Mag. Maybe if I can find it in my library, I'll give it a go!

Stevenage Central Library will be closed from Monday 9th to Wednesday 11th February for the installation of new computer benching and the movement of stock. The library will reopen as normal on Thursday 12th February.

They dont have a copy but the following libraries have it or you can reserve it :)

Author: Cocker, Mark
Title: Birders
Classmark: 598'.07
Year: 2001
Material: Type Non Fiction
Control Number: 0 22406002 3

Berkhamsted [1] - On shelf

Cheshunt [1] - On Shelf

Hertford [1] - On Shelf

Watford [1] - On Shelf

Dirty Birding is a fun book for beginners. It points out what happens at each end of the bird.

I forget the author, but it is a paperback.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back