• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8X42 Kowa BD (1 Viewer)

ewsjr

The Kowa binos arrived today from Amazon.com. Amazon was giving closeout prices on camo finished Kowa's and I could not resist buying these at 40% off regular retail. I am truly impressed.

The field of view is flat with little discernable edge distortion. Powerlines viewed in the distance showed no curvature of field to the visible edges. Varied colors of fall foliage viewed through these shows a very neutral color rendition. They stayed with my 7X42 Swaro Habicht porros as it got dark and I alternated between them reading political signs about a 100 yards off. The eyecups worked well fully extended without glasses and I was able to run them down to the lowest position and see the full field with my glasses on. Depth of field is better than my wife's 8X33 Minox HG's and not as good as the Swaro's.

Overall first impressions are very favorable and I believe these will become my go to glass at a price that makes me fear neither the grandchildren or loss from theft if left in my vehicle. I preferred the Kowa over all other comparably priced glass when I had the opportunity to test them at a well stocked shop a couple years ago. Unfortunately, I could not justify another bino at the time. Now, the bargain was irresistable and I am satisfied enough to believe I am out of the bino market for quite some time.

Having more time with the Kowa's has made me even happier with the purchase. I tested them at a place where I can see a sign 1000 yards accross water. You need good resolution to read this sign with any binocular and the Kowa's passed the test easily. The view is relaxed, the colors true and the field flat to the edges. The FOV could be wider but it isn't bad given the large sweet spot. I have a new go to bino and think a couple others will be sold as a result.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back