• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field guides Trinidad-Tobago (1 Viewer)

fbeeldens

'llo All,

I'm planning to head for these Isles sometime late this year, or early in the next. The trouble is a good (field) guide. I found the "Birds of Trinidad and tobago", Helm Books, 2nd edition by Richard French. In general I had (very) good experiences with the various guides that Christopher Helm has produced so far, but I found this one rather disapointing.

THe book does have some interesting parts, such as the descriptions of the various ecotopes and what you can expect there. but I find it woefully lacking in the identification department (no illustrations on the seabirds, ducks, no drawings of any of the birds of prey in flight, etc...), and the text on the identification is rather limited as well (and according to even my limited experience with some of the described species, wrong or very incomplete.)

Maybe I'm a bit spoiled with stuff like the collins guide for Europe or the Sibbley for North America?

So, Is there actually any good identification guide out there for this area?

Thanks beforehand,

Filip

Most of the birds of Trinidad and Tobago are also found in Venezuela. A new field guide for that country was recently published: Birds of Venezuela, Steven Hilty, Princeton University Press, 2003. I have not seen this book but it has received good reviews in the American birding press. Glen

Hello Filip,

You may want to send a private message to rka. He is a forum member in Trinidad. He might be able to give you some tips on birding there.

He has also posted some photos in our gallery under caribbean birds.

Have fun,
dennis

Hello Denis,

Thanks. I'll see if I can get in contact with him.

How's the birding in your neck of the woods at the moment?

Bye,

Filip

Slow...but we have a Harris's Sparrow visiting from out of it's range. That is causing a bit of excitement.

Spring is coming, be of good cheer!

dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back