• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gambia in the Summer (1 Viewer)

Roger&out

Up Down
I am contemplating going to the Gambia in early July but all the trip reports that I have seen are from Winter/Spring, Has anybody been in Summer?

If so what are the birds like.

Roger,
I have been three times, twice in October and once in March. Our summer months coincide with their rainy season, and is not recommended. Many roads are unsurfaced, and I can only imagine what they are like following a bit of rain (let alone a LOT of rain). I think the mozzie situation would be much more of a nuisance during the rainy season as well.

I would recommend hanging on until October if you can, that way you avoid most of the rain, but the landscape isn't dried up and the bishops are still in their breeding plumage.

Robert_Scanlon said:
Roger,
I have been three times, twice in October and once in March. Our summer months coincide with their rainy season, and is not recommended. Many roads are unsurfaced, and I can only imagine what they are like following a bit of rain (let alone a LOT of rain). I think the mozzie situation would be much more of a nuisance during the rainy season as well.

I would recommend hanging on until October if you can, that way you avoid most of the rain, but the landscape isn't dried up and the bishops are still in their breeding plumage.
Thanks Robert,

The research I have done since posting the request has all pointed the same way.

Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back