• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

florida (1 Viewer)

osprey66

Im going to to kisseemee fort myers and florida city in december were would be the best place to see burrowing owl and barred owl will be going to corkscrew for barred again but last year no sigting help

I live in the Orlando area and have spotted a barred owl in DeLeon Springs State Park near DeLand - which is north of Orlando. I can't remember what time of year it was, although I remember it was too cold to swim in the springs.

I have seen Barred Owl on almost every occassion at Sweetwater Strand on Loop Road in the Big Cypress Preserve. I suppose you are taking the Tamiami Trail route to Miami to get to Florida City. In Miami-Dade County, Kendall-Tamiami Executive Airport has several colonies of Burrowing Owl which are approachable and are conveniently marked by bright orange cones.

Florida City...I am assuming you are going to the Lucky Hammock/Annex area, Cutler Wetlands/Dump Marsh, and Everglades National Park. Great places to bird. Let me know if you need anymore help with these areas.

Hope this helps,

Carlos

many thanks to you both. carlos would love any info you can give on lucky hammock and the cutler wetlands ,dump marsh ive thought about going to mary krome bird sanctuary could there be hummers there
i will probabley take the tamiami trail when i leave florida city to fort myers so info on sweetwater strand would be most apreciated many thanks

Last edited:
Lucky Hammock -- it is best to come to this location as early as possible in the mornings. You can bird around the little hammock itself on aerojet road for warblers and woodland species. The most interesting spot for me is the brush and field across the street. I walk between the two mounds of grass/shrubs and to the field, then walk down the edge of the grass/shrubs to flush different bird species. You have to be quick! As the morning progresses, you can expect the cast of characters to shift from small passerines to larger waders and raptors. Here are some of the less common/rarer species you can expect at this time of year at Lucky Hammock and where:

Swainson's Hawk (if present, very easy to spot sitting out in the field)
Bald Eagle (low probability, but have seen it there)
Sandhill Crane (common, almost daily in flocks)
Bell's Vireo (difficult, need to be lucky to run into it in the brush)
Painted Bunting (in the tall grass/brush)
Lincoln's Sparrow (rare, effort and patience)
Clay-colored Sparrow (rare, effort and patience)
White-crowned Sparrow (rare, effort and patience)

Other species, which are basically guaranteed, include White Ibis, Cattle Egret, American Kestrel, Red-shouldered Hawk, Northern Harrier, Turkey Vulture, Killdeer, Common Ground-dove, Great Crested Flycatcher, Eastern Phoebe, Blue-headed Vireo, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Brown-headed Cowbird, Savannah Sparrow, Grasshopper Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, Gray Catbird, Loggerhead Shrike, Northern Parula, Palm Warbler, and Northern Mockingbird.

Cutler Wetlands isn't great right now because of the very low water levels, but can be productive for shorebirds late in the afternoon or very early in the mornings before the gulls move in (or have moved out). Shorebirds can include Solitary Sandpipers, both Dowitchers, Spotted Sandpiper, both Yellowlegs, and more. Few waders like storks/spoonbill can be expected because of the water levels. During mid-day, expect a lot of gulls like Ring-billed, Laughing, and Herring (thousands). I recommend Dump Marsh late in the afternoon south of the landfill. It has had a Snow Goose in recent days, along with Shoveler, Blue-winged Teal, Belted Kingfisher, all the common herons/egrets, Roseate Spoonbill, Wood Stork, and, most importantly, a vagrant Tropical Kingbird which hangs out on the wires. Sora Rail may also be seen foraging in and out of the reeds. At sunset, a pair of Great Horned Owls makes their appearance on the dead snags along the canal. The fields to the west (which are gated) will have Lesser Nighthawks flying about.

Finally, you may want to visit Mary Krome Park for wintering warblers, but if you really want to see hummingbirds, I recommend Castellow Hammock. There is a wintering Rufous Hummingbird there, along with many wintering Ruby-throated Hummingbirds. Painted Bunting, White-winged Dove, and other more common species are regular at the feeders.

Finally, if you want to see Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and Western Kingbird in the area, try the 212th Ave. and 312th Street intersection near Homestead. There are usually both species present on the wires.

Hope this helps make your trip productive!

This is a very helpful site for helping you find any target species you may want with driving directions: www.tropicalaudubon.org
Carlos

Burrowing owls

Im going to to kisseemee fort myers and florida city in december were would be the best place to see burrowing owl and barred owl will be going to corkscrew for barred again but last year no sigting help

While in Ft Myers, it's a short drive to Cape Coral. There are burrowing owls in quite a few locations. Try heading for the library as there are nests there and further info available there too.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back