• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Apollo MK2 (1 Viewer)

Simon S

Just bought a mint pair of Swift Apollo mk2's and was wondering if anyone has used a pair. I have the Mk1's which are OK performance wise but these are a 96 model.

Hi elkcub. Not sure yet, they have'nt arrived yet.
I will post when I know but the serial number is 96****** so they are fairly modern.

Well they arrived today and they are mint apart from being well out of alignment. There is no evidence of a drop so I removed the oculars and prism covers to have a look in side. The prism shelf screws where tight but the smaller set screws had wound them selves out.Poor inspection?
Once aligned the image is disappointing. Image is fairly wide at 446ft at 1000 yards and seem to suffer astigmatism centre field going off quickly at the edges.Light gathering is not what an 8x30 is good at but these are dimmer than usual. Build is good and this seems to be a very late model in the porro range by Swift.
So although they look new, the performance is well down on the Mk1 version.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back