• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Hide Etiquette" (1 Viewer)

SimonC

Still listing - I'll capsize one day
Hello all
What's your idea of good/bad manners whilst using a public hide? (blinds - I think our transatlantic friends know them as?)
Of course there are the really obvious things, like keeping noise to a minimum, closing doors before opening viewing hatches, keeping hands/bins/'scopes etc. inside of viewing windows etc. etc.
But what about you? what do you feel everyone should know before entering a bird hide? (or more likely, wish more people knew ;) )
I'm sure that someone will say something that I'm guilty of myself (& believe me. I want to know - so I can stop doing it!!)
So, let's see if we can come up with a definitive set of rules we can all take with us next time we venture out!

Noise is the worst thing - I was in a hide yesterday and some people on a coach trip were talking as if they were at the other side of a street from one another. That, and the lady in the bright red leather gloves waving her hand out of the hide windows pointing out the whereabouts of a Wren to her fellow coach trippers!!

Darrenom said:
No smoking, (I smoke myself, but certainly not in hides) and
Keep your kids under control. Gag dispensers should be sited outside hides. IMHO.

My kids had "hide etiquette" drummed into them from an early age

CJW said:
No kids. Same as it should be in pubs.

<I've taken the bait...get the Gaff ready!! ;) >

I quite agree with you about pubs, but can't agree on "no kids in hides".

How else are we to encourage the next generation of birders? without them, what future do the worlds birds face if there's no-one left to fight their corner?

Surely you're not seriously suggesting that birding should be "Adults only"?

Education of the parents might be a better solution.

Last edited:
Shame on you CJW - where will the next generation learn from! I will put up with an enthusiastic kid anyday!

I hate hides that are like being in church, I prefer people to talk (quietly) about birds and not be afraid to do so.

Never yet seen birds disappear through gentle conversation.

James

Not really hide etiquette but whenever i`m in a hide and people are talking quietly to each other giving directions I can`t help but get the feeling they`ve spotted something interesting which i`ve missed. I`ll then spend the next ten minutes frantically scrutinising ever single bird in view...when i finally crack and ask them what they`ve got the answer is invariably something thats sat happily in full view in front of the hide which we`ve already enjoyed - but no matter how many times it happens I still can`t help but get a feeling of creeping paranoia! Does this mean I need help?

Jasonbirder said:
Not really hide etiquette but whenever i`m in a hide and people are talking quietly to each other giving directions I can`t help but get the feeling they`ve spotted something interesting which i`ve missed. I`ll then spend the next ten minutes frantically scrutinising ever single bird in view...when i finally crack and ask them what they`ve got the answer is invariably something thats sat happily in full view in front of the hide which we`ve already enjoyed - but no matter how many times it happens I still can`t help but get a feeling of creeping paranoia! Does this mean I need help?

Know that feeling Jason! I can't walk past a group with 'scopes without asking them what they are "on" either! Sometimes it is well worth it (last time I was at Titchwell I quizzed a group that happened to be watching a first winter Hen Harrier! - that's just reminded me of another thread i was going to start actually!)

James said:
Shame on you CJW - where will the next generation learn from! I will put up with an enthusiastic kid anyday!

I hate hides that are like being in church, I prefer people to talk (quietly) about birds and not be afraid to do so.

Never yet seen birds disappear through gentle conversation.

James

:clap: :clap:

Quite right James, kids need to nurtured, like a little garden.

(By the way, whats that nonsense under your signature? What's a paragate? an unqualified gate or summink)?

Knowing the space limit of a hide! Some people look in and can clearly see it is full but come in anyway and then five or six more follow that person until we are so cramped even those in the hide first can not get out.

Darrenom said:
(By the way, whats that nonsense under your signature? What's a paragate? an unqualified gate or summink)?

I've wondered that too, It reminds me of a Buddhist chant though.

Ofcourse kids should be allowed in to hides. If they sit still and shut up. Which they don't. Ever.

Good parents are the same as responsible dog-walkers - their charges are always well behaved.

CJW said:
Ofcourse kids should be allowed in to hides. If they sit still and shut up. Which they don't. Ever.

Good parents are the same as responsible dog-walkers - their charges are always well behaved.

Sorry Folks....but CJW has a point ! There was 5/6 of us on a nature trail and came upon a barred owl, we sat within 10 ft and was in awe...watching it , it was on a low branch...when a birder with two children came up saw what was going on and just let the kids run up to the bird... it darn near killed itself trying to get away from them!!!!!!!! argh!!!!!!

Sitting right up to the windows.

It always amazes me in hides as to how many people sit right up to the windows, poking their hands and binoculars through the portal - an obvious disturbance to the birds.

What possible difference could reaching forward that few extra inches make to the view when sitting back a foot would mean the birds would never know you're there.

and don't forget to stand behind the seats with your massive telescope on a fully extended tripod, which you erect making an unbelievable clanking noise and then proceed to look for 'the bird' in vain until someone puts you onto it.......

more kids please
fewer dudes

Shame on you Tim ;) most hides seem purposely designed to frustrate viewers using Telescopes - if you want a quick peek its OK to rest your scope on the wooden sill - but without a hide clamp if you want a proper lengthy scan the most comfy way of doing things is often to stand back from the viewing slat with your scope on a tripod extended to the same height as the opening then just slouch back against the rear wall and scan away comfortably.

We can`t all ID that distant Stint on Jizz with binoc`s alone you know - some of us need optical assistance!! (Thats just us dudes obviously)

The most annoying thing i find is when someone sat next to you leans across with thier scope or bins, when someone says look over there!! aghhhh.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back