• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking to try digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Backyard Birder

First Time Birder For The 2nd Time
Hi all,

I have a Canon Powershot s3 IS camera (6mp, 12x zoom) that I would like to use for digiscoping if possible with an 80mm f5 scope I have that was used for astronomy. Can this be done? If so, how and what would I need to check and or purchase in order to make it work?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice:t:

Hiya -

If you want to use your digicam with the astro scope, you will need an erecting prism for your scope and an eyepiece. A good option is the Baader Hyperion eyepiece, which already have a 43mm thread on them. Attach the lens adapter on the S3 IS (I believe it has one), and then use a stepping ring if need be to screw the S3 on to the scope and that should get you there. Of course, depending on the MFD of the S3 and the eye relief of the EP, you may need to add some spacers to this whole setup as well.

If this doesnt work, then you can use one of the generic digiscoping adapters to attach your camera to the eyepiece of the scope (you will need the erecting prism in the scope first, however).

A better option would be to go the prime focus route. Here, the setup is as follows:
DSLR -- T-adapter -- extension tubes -- T-mount for the scope -- scope. More convenient to use and better results. Check the thread "Digiscoping Experiments with a DSLR" in this forum, a few posts down, for a lot more info on how to set this up.

Hope this helps.

Vandit

OK, we (wife and I, we are both birders) have discussed things and I think the way we will be going based on a realistic budget to spend on this stuff, is to get a weatherproof, field-usable, spotting scope that is reasonably priced and make my current digicam work if at all possible. If the current cam is not practical we could probably afford a new lower-priced digicam that is not a DSLR.

With those new criteria, and with the Stokes Sandpiper getting good reviews as an affordable spotting scope, what can we do with that scope if we were to get one?

Well, I am no expert on digiscoping (been using a long lens for a while and now getting started with an astro scope with a DSLR), but I have been researching a portable setup for digiscoping for when I want to take ID shots.

One thing I gather is that it is generally good to get a scope with ED glass. This yields better images, free of chromatic aberrations. However, CA is also fixable in photoshop and how much CA is acceptable to you depends on your intended usage of the image. For sales, CA is pretty much a no-no but for personal use, it may be ok, especially if you avoid harsh contrast situations.

Cheers,
Vandit

You may have difficulty digiscoping with the S3IS. Given the size of the lens, you will probably experience some vignetting and not get the kind of results you are looking for. I'm not saying the S3IS is a bad camera--I've been using an S2IS for a number of years--I just don't think it's the right camera for digiscoping.

If you are planning on purchasing the Stokes Sandpiper, you can get the scope and give it a try. If you are willing to make an additional purchase, a smaller point and shoot could make your start at digiscoping a little easier. You may want to look at something like the Canon Powershot A590, which is retailing in the range of $150 at the moment. The settings and operation are very similar to the S3IS. This is not to say that other point and shot cameras will not work (I use the Powershot SD750). You will just want something that has a zoom no larger than 3X or 4X. With the number of point and shoots that keep entering the market you should be able to get a camera that will give you nice pictures at a reasoanble price.

You may also want to consider a camera adaptor that will line up the lens of your camera to the eyepiece. Some of the more creative (and skilled) people on birdforum have created their own. You can find some instructions for an inexpensive adaptor by searching through the forum.

If you are like me, and not very skilled, you can purchase an adaptor. There are a lot of options available. Since you mentioned the Stokes Sandpiper, you may want to look at the Vortex Universal large camera adaptor (Vortex produces the Stokes Sandpiper). It's not too expensive and it will allow you attach the S3IS to the scope if you want to see if your camera will produce acceptable results.

Good luck with your digiscoping attempts.

JSO

You may have difficulty digiscoping with the S3IS. Given the size of the lens, you will probably experience some vignetting and not get the kind of results you are looking for. I'm not saying the S3IS is a bad camera--I've been using an S2IS for a number of years--I just don't think it's the right camera for digiscoping.

If you are planning on purchasing the Stokes Sandpiper, you can get the scope and give it a try. If you are willing to make an additional purchase, a smaller point and shoot could make your start at digiscoping a little easier. You may want to look at something like the Canon Powershot A590, which is retailing in the range of $150 at the moment. The settings and operation are very similar to the S3IS. This is not to say that other point and shot cameras will not work (I use the Powershot SD750). You will just want something that has a zoom no larger than 3X or 4X. With the number of point and shoots that keep entering the market you should be able to get a camera that will give you nice pictures at a reasoanble price.

You may also want to consider a camera adaptor that will line up the lens of your camera to the eyepiece. Some of the more creative (and skilled) people on birdforum have created their own. You can find some instructions for an inexpensive adaptor by searching through the forum.

If you are like me, and not very skilled, you can purchase an adaptor. There are a lot of options available. Since you mentioned the Stokes Sandpiper, you may want to look at the Vortex Universal large camera adaptor (Vortex produces the Stokes Sandpiper). It's not too expensive and it will allow you attach the S3IS to the scope if you want to see if your camera will produce acceptable results.

Good luck with your digiscoping attempts.

JSO

Thanks for the info. I am definitely not very skilled mechanically so I will need to purchase an adaptor for whatever scope I end up getting. I'd love to get a high quality scope but I might be limited a bit by the budget. The Sandpiper has received good reviews and seems like a reasonable option. I am taking pictures only for my own gratification so a little CA won't be a problem. I can correct a lot of it in the editing software.

As for the camera, I'll try it with the S3. If it doesn't work I can afford a new 3x digicam, we need a new portable one anyway.

I think I'll probably end up getting it in the next month or two. Any other scopes in the $250-$500(I might be able to go this high) range that are worth looking at?

You might be better off getting a 2x teleconverter for the camera which will give you a very good range for bird photography. It's difficult to get a 12x zoom to work for digiscoping as it normally starts at 20x already and you have to zoom a lot to get rid of the vignetting. The cheaper the scope the more this is a problem usually.
Canon A590IS is very good value for money and a good (compatible) digiscoping camera.
Neil.

In the $200-500 range, I'd go for a used scope. You'd get more for your money that way.

You may be able to swing a Pentax PF80ED used for around $500 - check the B&S section here or Fleabay. And *shameless plug time* - I am selling my Vortex Skyline 80ED with its matching digiscoping adapter (as I have a Nikon ED82 coming next week).

Cheers,
Vandit

In your price range options can be limited. A used scope can get you a higher end scope for your money. Vandit did not mention a price for his Vortex Skyline, but it might be in your price range. Eagle Optics has a refurbished Nikon 60mm Fieldscope, with eyepiece, in your price range (they also list a 60mm Kowa scope on e-bay that is in your price range, but it does not include an eyepiece).

You can try looking for reviews and/or discussion on the Bushnell Excusion, or the smaller Bushnell Elite scopes. You may also want to see if you can find anything on the Leupold Sequoia. The non ED version of the Vortex Skyline sells for less than $500, and would give you a larger objective lens than the Sandpiper. As you start to look at some of the less expensive scopes (i.e., the ones that you are more likely to find in your neighborhood "big-box" sporting goods/hunting store), it becomes even more imperative that you try to look through the scope before purchasing. It can be harder to find stores in some areas that carry the better (and more expensive) scopes. You may have to rely on an internet retailer for those options (there are internet retailers that will give you a trial period in which you can return the scope).

Neil mentioned the possiblity of using a teleconverter with your S3IS. Canon produces a 1.5X teleconverter (TC-DC58B), and I think Sigma produces a 1.5X and a 2.0X teleconverter that will also work with your camera. I use Canon's teleconverter with my S2IS. You can get some great pictures with it, but like everything, it has limitations. When you want to record the bald eagle you saw off in the distance, it may not give the reach that a scope will (nor some of the close-ups that you can get with a scope).

Neither Vandit, Neil, nor I mentioned the need to budget for a good tripod. Unless you have one, you don't want to forget this vital piece of equipment.

JSO

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back