• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE AZ in May (1 Viewer)

Jim Lundberg

I am vacationing in Sierra Vista 4 May - 12 May 2009. I am joining the Cochise County NAMC on 9 May, but other days I would appreciate birding with any local or visiting birders. I will have a rental vehicle and will drive. I am open for any day trip suggestions.

I have numerous SE AZ birds to check off, but am focussed on bird photography.

I was stationed at Fort Huchuca in 1980-1981 and worked in the Training and Audiovisual Support Center with Robert Smith. Although I wasn't birding then, while out hiking, I did chance upon Smitty's Spotted Owls which pleased him greatly. It would be nice to hike up Scheelite (sp?) Canyon again.

Also, does anyone have windy-day birding strategies for the area? I noted that May winds are primarily out of the NE and strong: Are Coronado and Parker Canyon on the leeward side of the Huachucas calmer? I haven't seen many birding reports for Parker Canyon Lake. Is it worth the drive? How do the lower ends of Carr, Ramsey, Garden, Huachuca compare to up higher in the canyons on windy days? Does the wind generally pick up as the day goes on? Should I start high in the morning and work lower in the afternoon?

Thank you, Jim Lundberg

[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back