• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owls..need info please (1 Viewer)

OK_Scissortail

Oklahoma State Bird
I was wondering if anyone knew when owls begin to nest? I have the Barred Owl and Great Horned Owl on our property. Years back I had Great Horned Owl nesting in my yard of all places but can vaguely remember the time. I think it was Jan/Feb when I spotted the baby owls and they flew from nest sometime in March/April. At the time all I had was a video camera which I set up and filmed the owls for those months. This time I just want photos if I can catch any nesting. Anyone know for sure the month the owls should be on the nest?
Thanks

Great Horned Owls are famous for nesting early. Where I live in Nevada, I've found incubating females as early as the middle of February. Oklahoma's quite a bit further south, so nesting there might start a little earlier (on the other hand, conditions are so different in the 2 states that it's probably dangerous to reason in this way).

We don't get Barred Owls out here but from what I've heard they're generally later than Great Horned Owls.

Last edited:
Thank you Harold and Fugl. Appreciate the information and will start looking for the Great Horned Owl and search a bit later for the Barred Owl. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back