• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hen Harriers in the news (1 Viewer)

Ranger James

Today Programme today reported that the number of 22 pairs of breeding hen harriers represented a tenth of the number that 'should' be breeding in this country. They sited gamekeeper persecution as the single most important factor in their persecution, as they come into conflict by preying upon young grouse.
Finally the programme rounded off by reporting that there was a possible fine of up to £5k or a 6 month prison sentence and that Police Wildlife liason Officers were working closely to bring prosecution.

Any thoughts as to whether this approach will work? Or is it too easy to cover-up the evidence of persecution?

I for one would chrerish the opportunity to see hen harriers once again in significant numbers in this country, and was struck by the low number of 220 breeding pairs mentioned as the supposed Brit figure? At the moment my only brush with a hen harrier was a fleeting glimpse as one shot over the North Devon Link road, nearly casued a nasty accident i can tell you!

James

I have never seen one and would dearly love to I know one pair breed last year on the Derbyshires Moors which is near me. But it is also a vast area to try and cover, I feel that it would be hard to catch any Gamekeeper worth his salt "at it".

Far too easy to cover up the evidence, unfortunately. What's needed is for the police to have (a) automatic right of entry to land to investigate, and (b) powers to withhold gun licenses on suspicion (no reason why they shouldn't, a gun license is a privilege, not a right) - and once a keeper has his gun licence withdrawn, he's out of a job.

I'd also like to see shooting estates be required to be licensed to hold shoots; any evidence of raptor persecution (to be monitored by an independent licensing authority), and the licence is withdrawn for one or more seasons, depending on the severity of the offence. The inspectorate could be financed by e.g. excise duty on shotguns & ammunition.

I'd say the potential British Hen Harrier population, without persecution, would be more in the 22,000 pairs range, than 220. Other places where they're not persecuted, they are nearly as common as Buzzards (current British population about 70,000 pairs). Travel round France, and you'll see Hen Harriers all over the place.

Michael

I am very lucky in that we have a number of hen harriers overwinter in Kent and I see them quite regularly. The male has got to be one of the most stunning birds. I have never seen one in its breeding territory - sad.

I agree with Michael about persecution.

Michael Frankis said:
a gun license is a privilege, not a right) - and once a keeper has his gun licence withdrawn, he's out of a job.
Michael, fully agree with you but I suspect some people from across the pond will be horrified !!

I'm hoping to view hen harriers in the Berwyn mountain range this summer (Just across the border in Wales, south east of lake Bala - 30 mins drive from Shrewsbury).

Apparently they are having plenty of breeding success around the Lake Vyrnwy (RSPB site).

robinm said:
Hi Pete. This winter I have seen them at Elmley, Oare (stunning views of male down to 50m) and Stodmarsh. Fantastic birds.

Crikey!! WELL DONE Robin!!

Whereabouts was the one at Oare??

Rgds.... Ruby

Fantastic!!

The only raptors I've ever seen at Oare has been quite a few Kestrels and distant views of Harriers on the other side of the water....

Ruby said:
Fantastic!!

The only raptors I've ever seen at Oare has been quite a few Kestrels and distant views of Harriers on the other side of the water....
You just have to keep going. I've managed

Marsh Harrier
Hen Harrier
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel
Merlin
Hobby
Peregrine Falcon
Barn Owl

If I can do it anyone can.

Crikey - and all at Oare??

I've obviously been walking around with my eyes shut again (mind you, I did practically knock a Kingfisher off its perch with the legs of my tripod when walking along the other day....)

It seems to have been a good winter for Hen Harriers. We've had regular sightings of up to 4 (including 1, possibly 2 males) since Christmas here in St. Helens. Even after all these years, I still find it hard to believe that these birds are just a couple of miles from my home. Had a cracking Merlin today as well.

I've also seen Hen Harriers this year at Martin Mere and Southport.

All told, I've had 10 sightings of at least 6 different birds so far this year (I normally average about 1 or 2 sightings a year).

Colin

The number of breeding pairs of Hen Harrier in the areas I cover in the far north of Scotland have dropped alarmingly over the last couple of years, lack of prey items on the hill is one thing, annual indiscriminate Heather burning is another, but the totally misguided belief that Hen Harriers are solely responsible for reducing the numbers of Red Grouse on the moors is not only without foundation, but it relieves the pressure on the keepers when the land owners want to know why there are so few Grouse, the estate owners and sydicates turn a blind eye when necessary. The majority of the Heather moorland in my area is in very poor condition and I believe this is the case on most other estates. Attempts have been made to improve it with very little success, there are areas that were patch burned 10 years ago that are still bare, no sign of new growth. I'm afraid in a lot of areas the Heather has got to the stage of no return. Of course the Hen Harriers could have adapted to nesting in the Soft Rush beds at the moorland edges, but most of these areas are now drained with the enticement of government grants for LAND IMPROVEMENT. Very few small birds remain on the moors, most of the Golden Plover, Dunlin and Curlew have gone, just a few Meadow Pipits are left. A bleak picture you might say, well yes and it's been coming for many years now. There's a Hen Harrier survey this year, it will be interesting to know just how many pairs are still nesting in the old familiar territories.

nirofo.

I read this thread with quite a heavy heart - that so many of you on our 'adjacent island' are struggling to catch up with these magnificent birds.
I had a couple over the garden today and, just down the road (about 6 miles actually), there's a roost that regularly excedes 100 birds.

Chris

nirofo said:
The number of breeding pairs of Hen Harrier in the areas I cover in the far north of Scotland have dropped alarmingly over the last couple of years, lack of prey items on the hill is one thing, annual indiscriminate Heather burning is another, but the totally misguided belief that Hen Harriers are solely responsible for reducing the numbers of Red Grouse on the moors is not only without foundation, but it relieves the pressure on the keepers when the land owners want to know why there are so few Grouse, the estate owners and sydicates turn a blind eye when necessary. The majority of the Heather moorland in my area is in very poor condition and I believe this is the case on most other estates. Attempts have been made to improve it with very little success, there are areas that were patch burned 10 years ago that are still bare, no sign of new growth. I'm afraid in a lot of areas the Heather has got to the stage of no return. Of course the Hen Harriers could have adapted to nesting in the Soft Rush beds at the moorland edges, but most of these areas are now drained with the enticement of government grants for LAND IMPROVEMENT. Very few small birds remain on the moors, most of the Golden Plover, Dunlin and Curlew have gone, just a few Meadow Pipits are left. A bleak picture you might say, well yes and it's been coming for many years now. There's a Hen Harrier survey this year, it will be interesting to know just how many pairs are still nesting in the old familiar territories.

nirofo.
Hi Nirofo,

Presumably too many sheep & deer? Or is there some other explanation?

Michael

I noticed last night we made the National News with the Hen Harrier story of two Gamekeepers awaiting trial for indiscriminate killing of Birds of Prey. Again I felt sorry for the poor gamekeeper who showed two striped feathers in the heather as proof that a Hen Harrier had devoured one of his grouse (I don't think so sorry that is).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back