PDA

View Full Version : Owls?!?!?!?!?

birdman
Thursday 26th February 2004, 17:12
On my way home from work tonight, I reckon I saw 4 (count 'em 4) owls - at different times.

Tearing across the road in front of me, possibly 2 Little, 1 Barn/Tawny and 1 BIG dark chestnut brown.

But it's the middle of February, between 5.15 and 6.00 pm, and I've been dodging snow showers.

Have I really seen 4 owls, or am I going mad?

Gill Osborne
Thursday 26th February 2004, 17:21
You lucky so-and-so!!! I haven't seen ANY owls for ages!!!!! Used to always rely on the Short-eared Owls at St Mary's Island during the winter months making an appearance but haven't seen any yet this year...which probably means there'll be loads there when I'm away for a couple of days next week!!!

GILL XXX

pauco
Thursday 26th February 2004, 18:20
Not mad, just madingly lucky, nice one Birdman!!

Ruby
Friday 27th February 2004, 08:06
Very good indeed...makes the journey home something (even more so) to look forward to...

Brian Stone
Friday 27th February 2004, 08:51
Its a good time for seeing owls. Tawny and Long-eared are getting on with breeding and can be quite active. I saw two Long-eared chasing each other around one evening recently. It helps that dusk is about going-home-from-work time at this time of year.

As one pedant to another I'd call it the end of Feb. ;)

Oh, and congrats on the Eagle Owl :t:

birdman
Friday 27th February 2004, 09:06
Thanks for the info Brian!

So maybe I'm not going mad after all.... although none of them pass the criteria for hitting my list.

(D'you know, I actually spent a few seconds agonising over whether it was the "middle" or the "end"... heaven help me!!!)

Brian Stone
Friday 27th February 2004, 13:03
(D'you know, I actually spent a few seconds agonising over whether it was the "middle" or the "end"... heaven help me!!!)

<grin> :h?: