• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Explorer 8x42 (1 Viewer)

MrBitsy

Bought two pairs of these binoculars after testing 15 pairs at a local stockists. I tested Nikon, Delta, Minox, Zeiss, Opticron and Pentax. Of all the models tested, I only thought the Zeiss Conquest were much better than the Explorers.

Focusing is very smooth and precise. Colours are bright and the image has good contrast. Although I thought the Zeis had a tad more resolution, the Explorers give a very nice view indeed for £169 a pair. They are nitrogen filled, waterproof, fully multicoated lenses and have phase corrected prisms.

Well worth a look before you decide you actually need £500 binoculars :)

Ray.

The Explorers sound impressive, but I note at 750grams they are a bit heavier than most. Do you find them tiring to hold for long periods? Apologies for double post on Other Thread

Another question (how can you can tell I am considering these)!

How are they for spectacle wearers. I note the 8X42s have very long eye relief (25mm)?

How does that influence field of view and user comfort. Is it right that the more eye relief the better, or is there different optimal values for different people?

Another question (how can you can tell I am considering these)!

How are they for spectacle wearers. I note the 8X42s have very long eye relief (25mm)?

How does that influence field of view and user comfort. Is it right that the more eye relief the better, or is there different optimal values for different people?

I purchased two pairs, one each for the wife and me. I wear glasses and find eye relief to be perfect. My wife doesn't wear glasses and has to have the eyecups twisted fully out.

The Explorers sound impressive, but I note at 750grams they are a bit heavier than most. Do you find them tiring to hold for long periods? Apologies for double post on Other Thread

My wife has never complained about the weight of the exploreres and we often walk all day.

Would the explorers compare directly to any other companies' model of binoculars currently on the market? (I am thinking the Leupold Cascade porro vs. Opticron internal focus porro comparison here.)

Hi, Ive just bought a pair of Explorer 8x42 from Sherwoods, after a long debate about which 8x42's to go for, they have very good reviews & I too would like to hear some first hand comments about them. I know the specs are good & have long eye relief of 25mm, PC phase coated, Nitrogen purged & waterproof. So they sound very good for the price.

Sean.

explorer8x42

Did a lot of research before i bought these bins,what clinched it for me was a recommendation from a guy who has been birding seen he was 5,in his late forties now.Really happy with them,the image is bright the contrast superb.Recently whilst at a local birding site,a guy with a well expensive pair of leica bins asked to have a look at them,he was well impressed....this guy had also been birding since he was a kid as well.I could not tell any difference,optically between mine and his.There must have been due to the price difference,but to my untrained eye there was no difference.!Peace..!B :)8-P Agree with mr bitsy,well worth a look at before you spend a fortune on bins..GOT mine for £155.

Last edited:
same here £150ish. These are a cracking pair of bins, the image brightness, contrast, focus is fantastic. You wouldnt expect to get all this for the price, but It just goes to show you dont have to spend £500, £600 or even a £1000 for a pair of bins. They also look very good as well. I am well happy with them, I also have a pair of Zeiss 15x45 Conquests & at the moment they are stuck In the cupboard..

Sean.

Can anyone tell me where the dioptre correction adjuster is on these bins? From the pics I've seen it doesn't look like its on the right-hand barrel.

Ta
Andrew

It is on the right barrel but the adjustment ring is designed to look the same as the one on the left barrel which carries the product name. The +/- indicators are on the underside of the barrel and the ring has a slightly raised thumb adjustment notch.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back