• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go in West Dorset in Feb? (1 Viewer)

Perry Grin

Hi All - advice and guidance please.......

I am visiting the inlaws in Melplash this February and have a pass for a mornings birding. Apparently Maiden Newton for can be good for dipper (I saw it mentioned on another post) - is this a possibility? Where else can I get a good few hours birding reasonably close by - 30 mins max in the car?

TIA

Perry

Last edited:
Perry Grin - I see no one answered this but we [family] spent the summer in Charmouth and went to the Melplash farm show in August. We stay at a cottage next to the National Trust land [car parks quite high and near the coastal path] that follow the coast back from Charmouth towards Melplash [Lymme Regis being the other way].

We walked up to Golden Cap [although very windy when we did it] but views were spectacular. I'm guessing that this is probably half hour from melplash - the OS Ranger maps will show you where and I'll have a look.

We will return to the cottage this August and will again visit the Melplash Farm show.

Not sure if this helps for future trips for you.

Joe

Hi. Just looked in, to pass some time. You must have passed very close to THE River Cottage. I used to go to boarding school, in Hooke. A little village not far from Beaminster. That is where my love of bird watching originated. I have been to most of the places you have mentioned so far. Mind you, that was back in the 50's

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back