• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex birders go to Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

United Kingdom
Essex Birdwatching Society trip to Norfolk

We set out from Chelmsford in the cold and drizzle in the knowledge that on previous trips when the weather was bad at the start it had always cleared up during the day. This was the exception. :-( The trip was officially to Titchwell and Holkham but we initially went to Sandringham in the hope of seeing the two-barred crossbill. I have never seen so many scopes, our coach load of Essex Birders didn't seem to swell the numbers much. As the bird hadn't been seen for a while we left after about 20 mins for Titchwell. A sparrow hawk made a brief appearance.

At Titchwell, to my delight we saw a black winged stilt (a first for me in the UK). It brought back memories of seeing them in East Africa some 30 years ago. Down to the sea front hoping to see snow bunting and shore larks - unfortunately nothing much visible. Back to the hide for some shelter from where we saw gadwall, teal, shoveler, tufted duck, pintail and others saw a goldeneye.

Later at Holkham there was a field full of pink footed geese - a wonderful view through the scope. On the sea was a raft of 50 - 100 common scoter with the odd velvet scoter which could be seen when they flew. Some members saw a long tailed duck and an eider amongst the scoter but I was unable to find them. As it became dark we drifted back to the coach. No snow bunting or shore lark had been seen.

The trip was to a large extent spoiled by the weather but overall I still found it enjoyable and intend visiting Titchwell and Holkham again. The stilt brought my uk total up to 199.

The day was too dull for photos

Dave

I haven't at this birdwatching thing for 30 weeks, never mind 30 years, so your day out sounded pretty good to me! I've heard of the Essex group; I gather they're pretty go ahead. And I'd love to go to Norfolk birding one day. As you know, we're hoping to arrange an official Forum trip there next year.

Peter

I cannot believe there was no mentian of the Ford Cortina or any female birder called Sharon or Tina, what's happening to Essex birding these days? and where is that dodgy White Headed Duck sighting at Aberton Res. these days.

Happy Christmas and New Year lists

Paul

No Sharon or Tina in our party to my knowledge. You must be thinking of a different county ;-)
I hope this is not a wind-up. I DID see a juv. White-headed duck at Abberton on 18 Sept 1999 !

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back