• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod settings (1 Viewer)

brunovo

I have the 728B tripod with associated head. However I belevieve that´s not the best tripod as it´s on the limit for his weight capacities.
What tripods and heads are use by you guys?
I have also a hard time balancing it all together, any way i get arrounfd this, getting the center of gravity closer to the focus...
Thanks for your time

Hi Brunovo,

I used a Manfrotto NAT055 with a Manfrotto 501 pro video head but I felt the vibration was too high for long focal length equivalents (i.e. higher than 1000mm).

I now use a tripod without center pole and believe this is the key to reducing vibration. Using a centre pole is in a way like using a monopod on a tripod. So, either you can remove the centre pole from your tripod, or look for a model that does so. I opted for a model that has no centre pole (but I can add one if I want) and this made a big difference. I have the expensive Gitzo GT5540LS but it is worthwhile for both photo and observing.

Yvan

I'm using a Berlebach 2002 and a Benro KB3 head, it's an amazingly stable setup. I also have a manfrotto 393 head, but the KB3 is far more stable so I use it much more often. The 393 is a better head for movement though, it's very easy to track movement with it.

I also used my digiscoping setup with Manfrotto 055MF3 legs and a 488RC0 head, but there's no comparison with the setup I have now.

I use a very sturdy Benro carbon tripod with the center column tucked in and a Manfrotto 501 HD head. I have a long 7" lensplate on the scope that allows me to balance the setup perfectly.

I often can feel vibrations unfortunately and IMO they are due to the long assembly of the DSLR + TC + EOS Adapter + spacers + focuser + scope.

In a couple weeks, the WX will get warmer and I will experiment with dampening devices to eliminate this vibration. I want to insert a plate between the lensplate and the scope - this plate would extend all the way to the DLSR, allowing me to insert sponge or rubber material between the plate and camera to dampen the vibration. A 0$ experimentation... Of course, I'll report the results on this forum.

I`m using a Manfrotto3021 With a 501 HD head center column tucked. DSLR + TC + EOS adapter+ Spacer + Prime Focuser + GSO Barlow + and scope.

I`m also getting alot of VIBRATION when trying to use the focus knob or touching anything. The image bounces around so much, I can not tell when it`s in focus or not. When not touching anything the image is prefectly still.

Jules I`m looking forward to your exspearment to this vibration matter.

Bill, whatever improvement Jules will get with dampening the play on the various adapters wont help you very much. I'm sorry to say but the manfrotto 3021 is too weak for a digiscoping setup, those legs have a max load of 6kg (13.3lbs), even the manfrotto 055 I had was too weak for this setup and they were rated at 7Kgs, using a 2x TC was hopeless with the 055 legs with anything but extremely good light. For a digiscope setup you should consider getting something a lot stronger than that, specially if you use barlows and TCs.

With my current tripod I can make photos without issues (and I allways keep my hands on the gear...no remotes or triggers) at speeds around 1/80 or even 1/60 using a 2xTC, with very good sharpness results. IMO a stable tripod is a must for a pleasant digiscoping experience.

Thanks FerandoBatista for the info.

I see your post above your using a Berlebach 2002. What is this Berlebach compaired too in a Manfrotto?

A Newbie.

I had two berlebachs so far, and I liked them much better than the manfrotto 055, the only upsides on the manfrotto were it's size and weight (carbon fiber model), apart from that I prefer the berlebachs I had in every way. I also love how they look but that's a personal thing (I love wood) and irrelevant to how good they work.

The 2002 model is a bit specific and may not suit you, it's a short tripod with only 115cm max height, I don't care about it because honnestly not even once I used it completely streched, I always try to shoot as low as I can so height is not a problem for me.
Here's the berlebach's 2002 page:
http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=261
A more convencional berlebach is the one I had before this one, the 9003, it's a much taller tripod with 151cm and about the same weight, and unlike the 2002 it has 3 leg sections.
This tripod was still a remarkable improvement over the 055 from a stability point of view.
I only trade the 9003 for the 2002 because I realised I never used it fully streched anyway so I'd rather have a more stable tripod.
Here's a link for the 9003:
http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=266

There's a lot of other configurations at berlebach's site, take a look at them they're very worth it, and from what I used and tried, they're by far the best bang for the buck.

Here's a comparison of various tripods.
http://www.tvwg.nl/testrapporten/statieven/statieven.htm
The berlebach 3032 (similar to the 2002 but taller and less stable) really stands out IMO, the G1327 is similar but it's expensive and the manfrotto 028 is more stable, but much slower at damping vibrations and much heavier. The manfrotto 055 isn't really on the same level of the 3032 like the test shows, witch confirms my experience.

Bill, I have been using two Bogen 3046 for several years and see B&H still offers them,, I use a 3063 pan head which is equal to the 26 lb capacity of the tripod but they no longer make that head,, certainly a match for about any scope and camera you can mount on them,,

started using them for my astronomy and they moved right over for the digiscoping,, with the head I would say the unit weights in around 12 pounds,, a tad heavy but certainly no vibration problems,,

use a Televue TV85 and my Oly E3,,

have attached a photo of the rig,, can't see the lower legs but they are fully adjustable,,

Derry

Attachments

• DSCN1148 (1204 x 903) (800 x 600).jpg
    DSCN1148 (1204 x 903) (800 x 600).jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Actually I didn't bought the legs at Berlebach directly, I bought them at Telescopeservice (German too). I got them together with a william optics focuser, for both articles I paid 18€. I payed with paypal, but I think they allow bank transfer too.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back