• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Diego in late June (1 Viewer)

breffni

I have to attend a conference in San Diego in late June and was planning to stay around the city and maybe do a pelagic from one of the whale watching boat trips - however apparently there is no whale watching in June and looking at the various web sites, there doesn't seem to be too many birds around San Diego in June either! Maybe it would be better to plan a trip to the mountains or desert? I would be more interested in passerines than seabirds/shorebirds...any suggestions welcome!

Last edited:
I have to attend a conference in San Diego in late June and was planning to stay around the city and maybe do a pelagic from one of the whale watching boat trips - however apparently there is no whale watching in June and looking at the various web sites, there doesn't seem to be too many birds around San Diego in June either! Maybe it would be better to plan a trip to the mountains or desert? I would be more interested in passerines than seabirds/shorebirds...any suggestions welcome!
Yeah June isn't the best time as San Diego is mainly a winter place for birds. However if you can get to the mountains the birding is certainly better there.

Hi Breffni,

The deserts and mountains are great in June - head inland and enjoy.
If you want some more details let me know.

H

Hi Breffni,

The deserts and mountains are great in June - head inland and enjoy.
If you want some more details let me know.

H

Thanks - I've been looking around various sites and south-east az seems to be the place but i would waste a lot of time driving that far - any clues nearer san diego would be very welcome! I was also looking into pelagics on socalbirding.com but looks like there's not many trips from san diego in june - i wonder why? no birds?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back