• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

using other scope brand eyepieces (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Apologies if this sounds like a dumb question but........

I just got a cheap second scope, the Vixen Geoma 52-S ( which is exactly the same as the Opticron MM2 ) and was a touch disappointed with the 25 eyepiece ( mind you I couldn't complain about the price-less than 100 quid for body/eyepiece/grippa case ).

I have an old Bushnell Spacemaster ( kindly given to me by another BF member ) and tried the Bushnell 22W eyepiece in and it fitted and worked ( though another Bushnell piece didn't ). I guess it was about 15 on the compact but was much clearer then the dedicated eyepiece. Anyway to get to the point-how interchangeable are eyepieces across different brands? I'd like to get a better eyepiece for my compact but the Opticron HR/HDF ones seem ludicrously expensive compared to the cost of the scope ( especially when you factor in postage from the UK ).

Vixen have some here in Japan but none seem especially good eye relief-wise. Do Kowa ( for example ) eyepieces work with other scopes?

Stu

I did have a search around when I read your original post, but I cannot find anything to help you.
I would have thought I you identify an eyepiece, that there would be an adaptor available somewhere to make it fit?.

Good luck with your search!

stuprice68 said:
...how interchangeable are eyepieces across different brands? I'd like to get a better eyepiece for my compact but the Opticron HR/HDF ones seem ludicrously expensive compared to the cost of the scope ( especially when you factor in postage from the UK ).

Vixen have some here in Japan but none seem especially good eye relief-wise. Do Kowa ( for example ) eyepieces work with other scopes?

Sorry if this is too obvious and not quite answering to your question...
Optically there should not be anything that prevents you from doing this - the eyepiece is just a high-quality magnifying glass, which magnifies the image formed by the objective. I think the problems usually come from mechanical structures of the scope or the eyepiece (ocular) - unfortunately I don't know any directly compatible combinations between different brands (well, other than Pentax-scope + all standard astro-eyepieces). It may be possible to use an adapter or heavily modify the bayonet, but if the eyepiece is not at a correct distance from the focal plane, it may prevent the system from focusing to the infinity or as close as it was designed. - Very easily too much trouble compared to the *possibly* saved money :(

Ilkka

Last edited:
iporali said:
Sorry if this is too obvious and not quite answering to your question...

Don't apologise! Thanks for your reply. I guess I was just asking if other people swap around eyepieces from different scopes.

I don't fully understand the optics anyway so thank you for your explaination............

stuprice68 said:
I just thought I'd repost it.......

Anyone?
Before bayonet type eyepieces appeared there was a screw on eyepiece that was almost universal. In the US the same thread appeared on Bushnell, Kowa, Mirador, Celestron, Unitron and several house brands. Looks like it"s still around if your Vixen has it. Any brand still using a screw type eyepiece might use it, except Nikon, I know that one doesn't work.

alan_rymer said:
Stu

Have you asked about other Vixen eyepieces?.

Hi Alan-according to the Vixen website in Japan it seems to be compatible with most of the eyepieces although maybe not the GLH48 which is, I think, the same as that rather pricey Opticron HDF zoom eyepiece . You have the MM2 Alan? Does it work with that eyepiece?

Hi Henry-that would explain why I can screw on the Bushnell eyepiece I guess. Unfortunately there's nowhere in town ( or indeed on this island probably ) where I can go with my scope and try out the eyepieces.

Stu

I have the HDF zoom and it fits the MM2, as does the HDF 32x from the ES80, on the MM2 thats abot x18. he link below is to Opticron UK. Use the bar down the side to select the scope. The compatible eyepieces are below the scope text.
http://www.opticron.co.uk/

Last edited:
Stu i use the Opticron hdf on the MM2 it gives 18x magnification, although not as powerfull as the 25x that opticron sugest it gives a far superior image and i would recommend this if Vixen do the equivalent.Opticron also do an hdf that give 24x with the MM2,Vixen must do simular.I think using HDF lens on this scope make it a very usable scope for the price

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back