• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PCF Binoculars (1 Viewer)

I recently owned a pair very similar to this. I had the 8x40 PCF WP IIs. The neat part about this design is the eyepieces move internally to focus the binocular...not with an external bridge like most conventional porros. This should, theoretically, produce a more durable design.

Center field sharpness was very good but I wasn't as enthused about the bins' edge performance. The unit you linked to appears to be the predecessor to the bins I owned. I cannot give you any more specifics as I am not familiar with the line in general.

The guys over at Cloudynights.com should have more info on this bin as I know it is more highly regarded as an inexpensive porro which is good for astronomical viewing.

Hope this helps.

These PCF would be quite OLD. By 1998, pentax was already into the PCF III model. So I'd place these about the mid-90s. I had a pair of PCF II 12x50s. They were excellent.

Model lines in the pentax are
PCF, PCF II, PCF III, PCF V, PCF WP, PCF WP II, so this model is about 5 models before Frank's 8x40. FWIW, I've owned 6 different Pentax. Including the 8x40s, this is one of the sharpest to the edge binoculars made. However, they are also one of the narrowest filed of view binoculars made.

edz

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back