• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Partial albino red-tailed hawk (1 Viewer)

MelissaM

I saw this mostly albino red-tailed hawk here in Pulaski, TN, USA today. If I am incorrect in my identification please let me know.

Attachments

• 012a.jpg
    012a.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 018a.jpg
    018a.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 116
With that first shot, I don't see how it could be anything else other than a Red-tail.

Wow! That's amazing!

Just a quick question for you learned and very knowlegeable birders - can any bird species have albino patches? I suppose it can make identification confusing, how common is it in birds? Thanks.

When it is not total abinoism which this is not, it is usually labeled with the term leucisitic.

Definitely a Red-tail. Excellent find. Were you looking for your owl?

Yes Lisa I was on my way to Spring Hill to look for the Snowy Owl again but no luck seeing him today. I was extremely happy with the pics of the hawk that I got though. Probably my best pics yet. I had like 3 seconds before he flew off.

I knew there was a term for a partial albino but couldnt remember how to spell it. Thanks for the help KC. Cant promise I will spell it right next time but will try and remember it though.:t:

Partially amelanistic is another, newer term. There was an article about the physiology of pigmentation and a proposal for a new nomenclature in Birding a year or so ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back