• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly sites in Derbyshire. (1 Viewer)

Davebutterflyman

Hi everyone,

I have just moved recently from Cheshire to Derbyshire and was wondering if anybody can give me a few pointers as to butterfly sites within the county.I did manage to get to Crich tramway village and on the woodland walk there were good numbers of Ringlet,Gatekeeper,Meadow Brown and Small Skipper,also a visit to the Crich memorial stand offered up a number of Small Heath's.Carsington water and Allestree park have been mentioned but nothing other than that and any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone,

I have just moved recently from Cheshire to Derbyshire and was wondering if anybody can give me a few pointers as to butterfly sites within the county.I did manage to get to Crich tramway village and on the woodland walk there were good numbers of Ringlet,Gatekeeper,Meadow Brown and Small Skipper,also a visit to the Crich memorial stand offered up a number of Small Heath's.Carsington water and Allestree park have been mentioned but nothing other than that and any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Dave, if you try posting this on the Derbyshire thread then hopefully someone can point you in the right direction. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=90112

I have heard of a good place for Butterflies but It's in the middle of Derby. It's on top of Friargate Bridge where 24 species have been recorded. It's an old railway line which is apparently a haven for wildlife. Not sure if it's still any good there so hopefully somebody else can give you a few pointers.

you could check last years bird sighting on carsington bird club website they somtimes metion what butterflys have been seen

Thanks very much for all the information,much appreciated.I have just done a couple of site reccies at Carsington and Allestree Park and both these have a good range of habitat.I'll certainly try Friargate Bridge DaveN,old railway lines and cuttings do offer up a number of good species including day flying moths,Narborough disused railway line in Norfolk is a prime example.

Cheers again for all your kind help.

Hopton Quarry NR has Green Hairstreak, Dingy Skipper etc, DSkipper also in Millersdale Quarry I seem to remember,....Combs Dale near Stoney Middleton for DGreen Frit, the contentious Brown Argus's and other stuff. Essex Skipper has now colonised the south well and is moving north.

Carsi holds some good species, and there used years ago to be Small Blues in Derbys but I haven't got a clue as to if they are still around, they were confined to one dale somewhere "up north" and its one of only a couple of Derbys breeding species I have never seen in Derbys :-C Not sure if we have any of the Pearl Bordered/Small Pearl Borders now in the county don't think so......

Cheers

Steph'

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back