• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird & Golfinch compatibility? (1 Viewer)

goldfinch

Hello,

I'm planning on re-doing a 17'x17' area... intentionally planting hummingbird
plants (bee balm, sage, columbine, etc.... however, right now this area is
my "goldfinch" area. My main feeders, etc. is away from this area.

Can these two "timid" type birds feed in the same area? Or will one chase
the other way?

Would it be better to feed these two types in two separate areas?

thanks !

Goldfinch,

Just saw your question.

I have my hummingbird feeder and my niger feeder on opposite sides of the same pole. Last summer both Goldfinch and hummingbirds came to feed. I don't think I saw them at the same time, but they were certainly willing to share the airspace. Don't know how this would play out in a planting, although my guess is that the same would hold; they can take turns.

My hummers and goldfinches eat in the same area without any problems. The hummers do get a bit ruffled when the goldies get on the hummer feeder but both occupy the same area frequently. Neither has chased the other away here.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back