• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying a mono-pod (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
I was just reading in these posts about shouldermounts, BushHawk etc...sounds like a good idea. But at the moment I use a monopod and walk around with the mono-pod not extended, camera attached and just carry it on my shoulder.

Is there an easier way? A easy to use should pack or something I can use to put the mono-pod + camera/lens attached in so I don't have to have over my shoulder all the time? thanks in advance jim

I've attached my Nikon D300 shoulder strap to the front grommet on my photo vest and let it hang to my side. With the monopod attached I can walk and support the camera / pod without having to actually carry it. Its much more comfortable than having the entire camera/pod around my neck. Things get interesting when I stop to digiscope w/ the tripod/scope - I have to worry about the camera and monopod banging into the tripod while digiscope. But doable....

Just want to mention that even though I agree that shoulder mounts like the BushHawk look interesting, I think you'd find that your monopod is a better way to go. One of the best features of a monopod is that they allow you to rest the weight of the camera on the ground - i.e. you do not have to constantly support the camera as you are waiting to take pictures. This is not the case with a shoulder stock - you still have to hold the whole setup.

Just want to mention that even though I agree that shoulder mounts like the BushHawk look interesting, I think you'd find that your monopod is a better way to go. One of the best features of a monopod is that they allow you to rest the weight of the camera on the ground - i.e. you do not have to constantly support the camera as you are waiting to take pictures. This is not the case with a shoulder stock - you still have to hold the whole setup.
Hi, Just thought i'd mention that many of the shoulder pods like Kaiser's etc do have a screw thread on the bottom so you can attach to a monopod, this is a great feature as your monopod takes up the weight but the shoulder pod makes it very stable and easy to pan your rig for flight shots.
I have converted many Kaiser's over the years and personally think they are ideal for lenses upto 500mm like Bigma's etc.
Cheers
Brian

That sounds like a very interesting combination, a monopod plus a shoulder stock. Who knew!

That sounds like a very interesting combination, a monopod plus a shoulder stock. Who knew!
Aye there great out in the field and I used mine quite a lot at Motorcycle racing etc, I am selling a couple of unconverted shoulder pods on the forum (I can't do the work myself due to limited use in my hands nowadays but for anyone handy with a Dremel/soldering iron they are ideal!) I also have a Kaiser Pistol grip for sale too which is just like the shoulder pods but better for macro work etc.
I'm amazed there aren't more people making them because once you have used them in the field you never want to leave them at home.
Cheers
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back