• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Swallows / Housemartins of Spring in Northern Ireland (1 Viewer)

s2sap

I was wondering if anyone kept a note of the first birds to arrive in Northern Ireland.

Last year the first swallow I seen was 12th April and I decided then to keep a note from then on for each year - just wondering ( instead of working ! )

Simon

First Sightings.

Hi Simon.
I can give you a few sightings so far for this year,
First Sand Martin seen over the Newry Canal on the 11th of March, Swallow seen on the 20th of March also along the Newry Canal and a Chiffchaff in Daisy Hill Nursery Newry on the 28th of March. Hope these can be of some help.
Frank

I had four Willow warblers singing at the Quoile on the 2.4.09 and there were a few at Belfast Harbour Reserve on the 31st March

I was wondering if anyone kept a note of the first birds to arrive in Northern Ireland.

Last year the first swallow I seen was 12th April and I decided then to keep a note from then on for each year - just wondering ( instead of working ! )

Simon
Hi,
I'm in Glengormley and I can't understand why the Swallows haven't arrived yet!
Normally, the warm, sunny weather of the last few weeks - especially over Easter - would have seen these elegant creatures swooping low to catch their prey fro dusk to dawn..but not as yet!
Does this mean we are heading for a plague of flies as the world heats up and the swallows migration fails?
I have noticed a considerable drop in their numbers over the past few years too, from scores at a time to dozens at once, and last year, even less...!
Oh dear!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back