• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I make my first scope a Zeiss Diascope 85 T* FL (1 Viewer)

JCS

Never had a scope before and way out of my depth looking through various reviews altough I see on here the Zeiss Diascope 85 T* FL gets a thumbs up.

If I am going to invest then I want to get quality of image - sharpe and a good scope in poor light, value for money and something that will, relatively speaking, still be as good in 10 years as it is today.

I immediatelty thought of Swarovski - the ATM will be out of my price range but I thought there might be some deals on the 80 ATS HD with 20-60x eyepiece - but it still comes out GBP 1700+

I found a Zeiss Diascope 85 T* FL LT with 20-60x Eyepiece for GBP 1300. That seems a good deal and a lot of boxes ticked for the money.

With no knowledge of scopes I dont know whether this really is a good deal or if the better value would be to pay the extra and go for the 80 ATS H.D
I'd appreciate some advice.

Many thanks in advance.

I reckon you need to go to somewhere to try them out, side-by-side, preferably on a day (like today) when the light is quite poor. Then you'll know which differences you can detect, which ones actually matter to you, and whether they're worth the cash differential.

I have the Zeiss you mention, and I love it... but in my opinion £1000+ is far too much to spend based on someone else's say-so!

You may also want to look at a few dealers' second hand lists - these can often offer superb value for money, since most people look after their optics very carefully and they remain in great condition. For instance, check out In-Focus, Focus Optics, SW Optics, Ace Optics online, just for starters. The top of the range Leica and Kowa scopes would be worth putting on your shopping list for comparison as well.

The top of the range Leica and Kowa scopes would be worth putting on your shopping list for comparison as well.

Yes. According to every review I've read, the Kowa 883/884 (which I own) is now regarded as offering the best image of any standard spotting scope-- though the big Zeiss and Swaro remain very close. Search the forums for more info.

Best,
Jim

I'd consider the big Kowa if budget is flexible. The returns for the extra money would be more justified than with the Swaro. About this, in high power and low light the gap over the zeiss narrows until almost zero, and bellow zero in very poor light.

The biggest negative for me regarding the Diascopes is their (very) limited EP selection. You're admittedly new to this, so be careful about any assumptions about what EPs you might want. For instance, thinking that the zoom will cover all the bases. Maybe yes, maybe no.

The biggest negative for me regarding the Diascopes is their (very) limited EP selection. You're admittedly new to this, so be careful about any assumptions about what EPs you might want. For instance, thinking that the zoom will cover all the bases. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Given the quality and the wide field of view on the zoom, it's a pretty good place to start, though! I started by buying this eyepiece and had the intention of getting a fixed mag in due course.... but in a great deal of varied birding over the last 4+ years, I've never felt the need to do so.

I started by buying this eyepiece and had the intention of getting a fixed mag in due course.... but in a great deal of varied birding over the last 4+ years, I've never felt the need to do so.

No surprise to me. The Zeiss is one of the best zooms and many people remain content using lesser zooms on lesser scopes.

If one wanted a fixed EP other than Zeiss' 30/40x for it merits for visual or digiscoping, I suppose one can use the 1 1/4" EP adapter and use a Pentax XW or some such, though I haven't seen this setup in action.
I suspect waterproofing is compromised.

JCS,

The focusing on the Zeiss ( dual focus wheel ) is different from the Swarovski ( helical focus ring ). You'd need to try both to see which one you prefer. The coarse focus wheel on my Zeiss was annoyingly stiff and did not loosen up in 4 years. I used the fine focus all the time.
I sold my Zeiss 65. If I wanted to buy again I'd pick the Swarovski.

Have you considered what tripod you want? For a big scope a good, steady tripod is a must. Don't make the mistake I made in my green days: a big Leica 77 Televid on a flimsy tripod. Vibration rendered the scope useless in the high mag range.

Regards,

Ronald

I'm just a newbie digiscoper (still awaiting my shipment) of my Zeiss 85 with the assorted accessories. I, by no means am an expert and can only offer a first time buyer experience. We have been birding for several years and have a Canon Rebel with our "best" lens being a Sigma 300mm. We would go to a lake or somewhere, see ducks and at best......get pictures of dots or a little bigger blob of unidentifable birds. This turned us onto the idea of a fieldscope. My first attempts at research yielded a Celestron of about $185. Boy, little did I know that I would be adding a few zeros!!!

After lots of reading, I learned that to get good pictures, you will need good optics. Names like Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss and Kowa an even Nikon would always come up. I also figured this investment will be a LONG term investment. Cameras will always change and you might pony up for even better tripod but if the optics are above and beyond, why change the scope? At least thats the working theory.

So why did I choose Zeiss? Long and short of it; what I got for my money. the other factors I chose were weight and to some extent of what I can find out, the eyepieces. I also factored in warranty and other little factors that add up.

You also have to remember that you still need a good tripod, adapter and a camera to go along with it. With my pitiful Quantaray tripod that I had....I knew I had to get better which meant a little more money. Then an adapater and camera.

My personal elimination process:

With the Nikon 82 ED. You certainly get a lot of bang for the buck and was almost set at getting this particular scope. I decided to up the ante a bit because this one is about 10 oz heavier and the FOV was smaller with the variable eyepiece. Weight played an important roll here.

Leica. Expensive. Wasn't going there.

Swarovski. Not terribly more and from what I read, fantastic optics with the HD optics and the Zeiss 85 stood right up to it. Of course, IMHO, you put the Swarovski name to something, it immediately adds a premium. I trolled the Swarovski forums. I didn't see any unhappy campers.

Kowa. Probably the best out there. Again, several hundred more when you factor in eyepiece, tripod, adapter, etc. From what I found out, you can accesorize the hell out of it with eyepieces. Made it very tempting! Again, trolling the Kowa forum; no unhappy campers there either.

It was a tough choice between the Kowa and Zeiss. I got the package deal which included the 20-60x eyepiece, a the 055CX3 carbon fiber tripod and 128RC head, quick camera adapater and what I consider some fluff stuff like a hard case, cleaning kit, the neoprene SOC and a bogen window mount with 700 head. All in all, it probably still came in under several hundred over the Kowa. In other words, I got a bit more bang for my buck by going Zeiss.

For us, I think the variable eyepiece will serve us well without the need to explore the other eyepieces available. We are not professional photographers, so the need for multi eyepieces was not necessary. Of course your mileage may vary.

What the experienced digiscopers say; You cannot go wrong with any of the scopes aforementioned. You just have to choose what will be right for your applications and most importantly; your budget.

Anyway, this was the difficult process of elimination that I took. Right, wrong or indifferent, I chose what I think will best serve us in the many years to come.

Good luck! Once you choose which scope, you get to choose angled or straight, which tripod/head combo, camera adapter and ultimately, the camera. :t:

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I think the message is dont rush into anything and try a few out to see what personally suits me the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back