• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk nuisance - any ideas (1 Viewer)

Phil B

I have a number of feeders in my garden and get a good variety of birds. However, my most recent regular visitor is causing a bit of a problem. I now have a sparrowhawk that seems to regard my feeders as the nearest thing to fast (or not so fast ) dining. At first this was an interesting addition but now it is making my garden a bird free zone. Anybody got any ideas as to how to get rid of it? Or do I just wait until the food supply dries up! Thanks for reading and any replies welcome

We have the same problem our feeders used to be more central in the garden, but since the Sparrowhawks came I have positioned them in the bushes/trees so they are still accessible to the birds but at the sides of the branches so they can either fly into the bush to make their escape or that it is highly unlikely the Sprawk would be able to fit in the gapto get them. Touchwood it is a while since Sprawk got anything.

I have a number of feeders in my garden and get a good variety of birds. However, my most recent regular visitor is causing a bit of a problem. I now have a sparrowhawk that seems to regard my feeders as the nearest thing to fast (or not so fast ) dining. At first this was an interesting addition but now it is making my garden a bird free zone. Anybody got any ideas as to how to get rid of it? Or do I just wait until the food supply dries up! Thanks for reading and any replies welcome

You're supplying food for your garden birds and by doing so you're supplying food for the local Sparrowhawk. I'm afraid that it comes with the territory. Enjoy the Sparrowhawk in your garden, I know I do.

Basically, combine the last 2 posts.

Provide enough cover so the birds are not easy targets, then marvel at how the Sparrowhawk will find ways of succeeding in getting a meal.

It's all part of Nature. You may find it difficult to accept at first (I know I did) but in time you learn to accept it and become fascinated by it.

Last edited:
thanks

Thanks for the replies. I kind of guessed that I might be 'stuck' with it but I'll see if I can move the feeders closer to my trees.

The best you can do is make the feeding area as friendly to your garden birds and as unfriendly to your local Sparrowhawk. I had pretty much the same here, but have managed to reduce the number of visits from re-siting all my feeders. All my feeder are now situated 'within' the trees and bushes of the garden which affords more protection than feeders situated away from the bushes and trees and cutting out the escape flight needed to reach the bushes and trees which was the point at which the spar was taking the feeding birds. Also, I moved them to other side of the garden where the birds have a better surround view and can see spars coming much sooner than the original 'ambush' side of the garden with more limited views.

Thanks for the replies. I kind of guessed that I might be 'stuck' with it but I'll see if I can move the feeders closer to my trees.

hi Phil

I would try to make your feeders as bird friendly as possible so the Sparrowhawk will have to do more work to find his food. Lots of undergrowth to hide in, and bushes is what garden feeding birds love to feel safe in. Just to hide in the confines of lots of greenery - their safe haven.

We had an experience in our back garden a few weeks ago, where a male Sparrowhawk dived into our Privet Hedge (We have a colony of sparrows who love hiding in the bush) He dived have 4 times in all, to flush out the sparrows and yes - the Spawk was on a mission to find his quarry - big time. :eek!:

Hope the bird he flushed out, and chased after, escaped from his talons. Sadly that is something we will never know.

Would not go to the extremes of hurting BoP's of any description at all. There is enough persecution going on with BoP's without any more reference made to hurting them anymore in any way.

Last edited:
If you really are that annoyed that s Sprawk visits your garden, then dont feed the birds!

Sounds like bird apartheid to me. Sorry your the wrong "type"

I think that's rather harsh. Feeding wild birds is a good thing, no matter what the reason. Understanding Nature is not a prerequisite of bird feeding.

There are some people that are squeamish (I used to be one of them, I still am to a degree) when faced with a bird being killed in their garden. Some of us just take longer than others to accept Nature for what it is. There will be some that never learn to accept the harsher side of Nature, but if the birds continue to be fed by them, they are still doing good.

IMO the correct "type" is anyone trying to help Birds/Animals.

I think that's rather harsh. Feeding wild birds is a good thing, no matter what the reason. Understanding Nature is not a prerequisite of bird feeding.

There are some people that are squeamish (I used to be one of them, I still am to a degree) when faced with a bird being killed in their garden. Some of us just take longer than others to accept Nature for what it is. There will be some that never learn to accept the harsher side of Nature, but if the birds continue to be fed by them, they are still doing good.

IMO the correct "type" is anyone trying to help Birds/Animals.

I think Himalaya was criticizing the idea that birds might be of the 'wrong type': that some birds are welcome in gardens and others aren't.

Magpies suffer from this sort of avian apartheid too.

I think Himalaya was criticizing the idea that birds might be of the 'wrong type': that some birds are welcome in gardens and others aren't.

Magpies suffer from this sort of avian apartheid too.

If that is the case then I misinterpreted what was posted, apologies Himalaya. Although I still think the point I was trying to make is valid.

Incidentally, as I think I've said in other threads, I welcome all wildlife in my garden; that includes Pigeons, Squirrels, Raptors, Corvids, and even House Mice. I think you have to accept it all, as everything works together, so to speak.

If people really want to help Nature they need to observe, and try to understand, all of Nature, not just the cute parts of it. But, as I said, if the "cute"|"pretty"|"fluffy" side of Nature gets the birds some extra food, it's not all bad.

Notice that BF deleted the post I put on yesterday so will try to re-word it.
Please don't give raptors any more undeserved bad press as there are plenty of 'groups' who will latch onto this and will press for the legal 'control' of raptors.
(Is that acceptable BF ?)

Notice that BF deleted the post I put on yesterday so will try to re-word it.
Please don't give raptors any more undeserved bad press as there are plenty of 'groups' who will latch onto this and will press for the legal 'control' of raptors.
(Is that acceptable BF ?)

I don't think there's anything in this thread that could be used for such a purpose, but just in case:

As I have posted in other threads, Sparrowhawks have visited my garden often over the last couple of years. I have seen many kills, and videoed some of them. The amount of potential prey (Collard Doves, Starlings, Sparrows, Tits, etc) is either more, or the same as it has always been.

In other words, Nature works just fine, there's no need for Man's interference.

Last edited:
The sparrowhawks actually do the garden birds a favour, although you may not be able to see it this way.

When any species is predated upon the predator will go for the animals which are easiest to catch - ill/injured/dim-witted. This way all the less able birds are killed and the speices becomes stronger and fitter as a whole; It's natural selection.

I would love a "problem" like yours. You are really lucky.

Sparrowhawks are so much more interesting than lots of House sparrows

The sparrowhawks actually do the garden birds a favour, although you may not be able to see it this way.

When any species is predated upon the predator will go for the animals which are easiest to catch - ill/injured/dim-witted. This way all the less able birds are killed and the speices becomes stronger and fitter as a whole; It's natural selection.

Slightly off-topic, but as a sparrowhawk primarily uses the element of surprise to catch prey, it stands to reason that it is the unluckiest bird which gets caught, not the least-fit.

I've let a rose bush go wild it's about 8-9 feet now and i've hung a couple of feeders in it, it's great for the sparrows and smaller birds, but has too many thorns for the likes of the sparrowhawk and it's also a great deterrent for the cats.:-C

Putting out feeders to attract finches, tits etc, is like putting out a feeder for the Sparrowhawks, so why are you upset about it when a Sparrowhawk takes the birds you're enticing into your garden for it to feed on ???

nirofo.

Slightly off-topic, but as a sparrowhawk primarily uses the element of surprise to catch prey, it stands to reason that it is the unluckiest bird which gets caught, not the least-fit.

Sure, but the unwary & those born with slow reaction times also get caught. Luck comes into it of course, but there's still plenty for natural selection to work with.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back